Your career journey
Your career and employability should be a priority all the way through your studies.
Many students get excited, start strong, but lose momentum. Other students think a career comes later, and leave any planning to their final session.
The ideal student takes small and consistent steps throughout their university studies to be job and career ready.
Stages of the career journey
Follow the roadmap and stages to make your journey easier.
- your career journey will not be linear – what you find out along the way may take you in a different direction, and so you can revisit earlier stages to get clarity
- you own your career journey, it’s all yours and you should go at your own speed through these stages.
- Check out what’s available (and free) in Employability Connect and on the Careers section of the Current Students website
- Sign up to Macquarie Employability Connect on Facebook
- Get to know yourself, your values and future job options
- Start your resume and career plan
- Join the Job Ready Club with Macquarie Student Employment
- Complete the Career Exploration Program
- Discover opportunities through the Global Leadership Program
- Look into LinkedIn and start your profile
- Join a student group or volunteer
- Learn about employability skills
- Assess your employability skills and work on those most relevant to your career
- Complete the Skills Development Program
- Get more experience – in and out of the classroom
- Reflect and update your career plan
- Get prepared for your work integrated learning experience through PACE
- Polish your resume and get prepared for interviews
- Network and connect with relevant employers at careers events
- Get a part-time job
- Become an active member of a relevant professional association
- Don’t miss Jobs Happy Hour
- And keep logging into Employability Connect to stay up-to-date
- Use your PACE project or internship to road test and refine your career plan
- Complete the Transition to Work Program
- Find career-relevant paid work
- Optimise your personal brand and connect with relevant employers and MQ alumni on LinkedIn
- Book a career coaching session for personalised advice
- Take a leadership role in a student group
- Search and apply for graduate roles and programs
- Perfect and tailor your resume and cover letter for each job
- Know the recruitment process and get prepared for an assessment centre
- Prepare examples of your skills and potential to use at interview
Keys to career and employability success
With years of experience, our expert career coaches have shared the the keys for your career success.
1. Get engaged and active – explore options then take small, consistent steps towards your career goals
2. Access FREE career and employability info and coaching – login to Employability Connect
3. Develop employability skills and gain experience – know what employers are looking for and get aligned
4. Build confidence for the transition to the workplace – apply for jobs and get feedback through Macquarie Student Employment.