Accessing all your applications instantly
Want access to your apps on the go? AppStream is an application streaming service for Macquarie students and staff.
AppStream is a fully managed application streaming service that provides Macquarie users both staff and students with instant access to their applications from anywhere. It enables students to use Microsoft Windows applications they require for their university work from anywhere, anytime, and on any device (BYODs).
To get started with AppStream, all it takes is three simple steps:
- Visit https://mq.okta.com/ using any browser on your computer device. Google Chrome is the recommended web browser for AppStream.
- Log in using your Macquarie OneID and password.
- Simply click on the tile 'AppStream - Student Applications' and then click on any application icon which you like to stream.
You can access AppStream using Google Chrome to stream applications from anywhere, anytime, on any device.
All AppStream sessions are temporary. You must save and upload your files to Google Drive or OneDrive before ending your AppStream session; otherwise, you will not be able to retrieve your unsaved files.
Your session is kept alive for 30 minutes from the time it gets disconnected.
For example, if you were working in your session at 10.00am and, for any reason, the network on your host laptop (BYOD) dropped, then your session will be kept alive until 10.30am.
You need to:
- revisit mq.okta.com via another browser tab
- login using your OneiD and password
- click on the 'AppStream Advance' icon. You will be presented with your previous session back.
If your laptop (BYOD) ran out of battery, you will be able to access your disconnected session within 30 minutes by logging into AppStream using any other device.
Important: Upload your work to Google Drive or send the files to yourself via email before ending your session, as you can't get back to your work/session once your session has ended.
- Try ending your hung AppStream session in the browser by clicking 'End Session' on the top right-hand side of the browser.
- Wait for five minutes.
- Repeat the login process to run AppStream using another browser. The wait time is to make sure that your session ends cleanly on the backend.
If hung session issue still persists using another browser, log a Onehelp ticket with Macquarie IT Service Desk.
Ending an AppStream session
You will need to end your AppStream session once you have finished using the applications available on AppStream.
Note: Please upload your work to Google Drive or send the files to yourself via email before ending your session, as you can't get back to your work/session once your session has ended.
To end your AppStream Session, please follow the steps below:
- Click on the top right-hand corner of your AppStream profile icon.
- Click on 'End Session' and you will be presented with End Session dialogue box as follows:
- Click on 'End Session'. Your browser will be redirected to https://mq.edu.au home page or you will be presented with 'Your session has ended' page as follows:
Applications within Appstream
Application selection in AppStream
Login to AppStream – Student Applications via https://mq.okta.com to view all the available applications.
Microsoft office in AppStream
Microsoft 365 applications are not available via AppStream due to licensing issues. However, all students have been given full license to their student email and can install all Microsoft 365 applications on their own device.
Running multiple applications at the same time
You can run concurrent application sessions by using the App launch button in the Navigation Toolbar.
Switching between multiple running applications
- Click on the 'App Launch' button on the Navigation Toolbar.
- In the application dropdown box, select the application.
AppStream simulates the University's general-purpose computer lab. Future releases will deliver course and unit-specific applications.
Requesting additional apps to be included in AppStream
- Raise a OneHelp ticket for AppStream.
- Select 'Application Refresh' in the dropbox menu as your query.
- Fill in the fields as request and provide:
- Detailed information about the application and its licensing – as much as possible
- Name of a contact person who will test the application in the AppStream Test Environment
- Submit the OneHelp ticket.
Will my application be automatically added into AppStream upon request?
No. We will review the request dependant on the following licensing restrictions:
- Who can use it
- How many licenses have been purchased
- Is it 'freeware'
- Can it be added to a virtual environment.
Time frame for adding an approved application
It takes a minimum of two weeks. We need this time to:
- Get the approved application.
- Add the application to a test environment.
- Have it tested by an academic who has requested the software be added.
- Once testing is complete, it can then be added to the production environment.
All AppStream sessions are temporary. Make sure to save your work on Google Drive or OneDrive, you must transfer your work files before ending your sessions, for example, email files to Gmail or upload files to Google Docs.
Connecting and saving work in Google Drive
Follow the steps below to add your Macquarie student Google Drive account to AppStream for the first time:
- Select the 'My Files' icon (found at the top left of your browser).
- In the My Files dialogue box, select 'Add Storage'.
- Select "Google Drive".
- Select the '@students.mq.edu.au' domain for your Google Drive account.
- The 'Sign in with Google' dialogue box will pop up. Type the username and select 'Next'.
Note: In case the signing pop-up does not come up, please refresh your browser and then follow from step 2 onwards.
- Type the password for your Google Drive account and select 'Next'.
- After your Google Drive account is added, your Google Drive folder displays in 'My Files'.
- To work with your files and folders in Google Drive, Select the Google Drive folder and browse to the file or folder you want.
Note: If you get the message "AppStream 2.0 is accessing your Google Drive. If you just linked your Google Drive account to AppStream 2.0, your drive should be available momentarily" after adding your Google drive and your Google drive is not seen, please refresh your browser and try again to see the Google drive.
Connecting and saving work in OneDrive
Follow the steps below to add your MQ student OneDrive account to AppStream for the first time:
To access your OneDrive, you must first add your OneDrive account.
- Select the 'My Files' icon at the top left of your browser.
- In the 'My Files' dialog box, select 'Add Storage'.
- Select "OneDrive".
- Under 'Login accounts', select the domain for your OneDrive account.
- The 'Sign in' dialog box displays. Type the username and password for your account when prompted, then sign in.
- After your OneDrive account is added, your 'OneDrive folder' displays in My Files.
- To work with your files and folders in OneDrive, select the OneDrive folder and browse to the file or folder you want.
Saving files to local or locally mapped drives
We recommend you save your files onto Google Drive or OneDrive.
Saving files to USB drive attached to localhost PC/laptop
Direct USB drive integration with remote session is not yet available. We recommend you save your files onto Google Drive or OneDrive.
Uploading and downloading files between the local computer and Google Drive or OneDrive
- Select the My Files icon at the top left of your browser.
- In the 'My Files' dialogue box, select either "Google Drive" or "OneDrive".
Navigate to an existing folder or select 'Add Folder' to create a new folder. When the folder that you want displays, do one of the following:
- To upload a file to the folder, select the file that you want to upload, and select 'Upload'.
- To download a file from the folder, select the file that you want to download, select the down arrow to the right of the file name, and select 'Download'.
Accessing iPrint via AppStream
In the application session:
- Click on Print. The application will prompt you with the printing preference window.
- In the preference window, select 'iPrint' as the printer.
- Click on 'OK' to start printing.