Payments during self-isolation or quarantine

If you are directed to self-isolate or quarantine by NSW Health and can’t earn an income, or are caring for someone with COVID-19, you may be eligible for Pandemic Leave Disaster Payments.

Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment is a lump sum payment to help you during the 14 days you need to self-isolate, quarantine or care for someone. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you will receive $1,500 for each 14 day period you’ve been told to self-isolate or quarantine, or are caring for someone with COVID-19


You may be eligible if NSW Health has told you to self-isolate or quarantine. They need to give you these directions for any of the following reasons:

  • you have coronavirus (COVID-19)
  • you’ve been in close contact with a person who has COVID-19
  • you care for a child, 16 years or under, who has COVID-19
  • you care for a child, 16 years or under, who’s been in close contact with a person who has COVID-19.

You may also be eligible if you're caring for someone who has COVID-19.

You must also meet all of the following:

  • you’re at least 17 years old and live in New South Wales
  • you’re an Australian resident or hold a visa that gives you the right to work in Australia
  • you're unable to go to work and earn an income
  • you have no appropriate leave entitlements, including pandemic sick leave, personal leave or leave to care for another person
  • your period of quarantine is after 17 September 2020.

If you’re a member of a couple, you can both claim this payment. You and your partner will need to complete separate claims.

Not eligible

You won’t be eligible if, during your 14 day isolation period, you get or got:

  • any income, earnings or salary from paid work
  • any income support payments, ABSTUDY Living Allowance, Paid Parental Leave or Dad and Partner Pay
  • JobKeeper Payment.

How to claim

To claim, you can choose one of the following:

You must make a new claim for each 14 day period.

Further information

The Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment is taxable income. This means you’ll need to include it in your 2020-21 Income Tax Return. Different taxation rules apply if you have a Child Support Assessment or get family assistance.

If you require longer term help, check the payment guide.