Career and Employment Service
Career services and COVID-19
The MQ Career and Employment Service is open virtually.
Due to the current need for Macquarie staff and students to work and study remotely we wanted to let you know about the wide range of Career Services available to you and the different ways you can engage with us.
Go to CareerWISE to find all our online resources as well as information regarding our services. Here you can access:
- MyMQ Career Zone with tools and information to assist with resumes, cover letter, interviews, LinkedIn and much more.
- CV360 for instant online resume reviews
- CareerHub to book phone or online appointments, workshops and other events and search for jobs
- MQ Career and Employment Service website with further details and advice for students
From early April, look out for our online workshops on topics including Resumes, Interviews, Job Search, LinkedIn, Online Tools and Resources and more. Head to CareerHub to register.
We are working with employers to deliver virtual events so that you can continue to connect with employers. We currently have a number of employer events on CareerHub, click here to scroll through and register.
Students can now submit their resume for review using this form on CareerHub
*Remember to run your Resume through CV360 before submitting your resume for review*
1:1 Career Advice Appointments
Appointments are being offered online (via Zoom) or by telephone. Please click here to book.
Macquarie Student Employment (MQSE)
MQSE facilitates student participation in paid employment. Students are encouraged to register and work through the MQSE program to be ready when more opportunities are available in the coming months. Workshops and intake interviews are currently being conducted online. Click here for details
Wondering what's happening with job applications during COVID-19?
We will be keeping you up to date with changes to employer recruitment processes during this time. Graduate employers have been surveyed weekly since mid-March, with many moving to online options for interviews and assessment centres. Time to sharpen up those video interview skills, use this Interview Simulator to perfect your online interview performance.
Wondering where to look for work during COVID-19?
This is obviously a very difficult time for many, and we will endeavour to provide you with information and support to seek opportunities. Some industries have completely shut down, whilst others are overwhelmed including roles in supermarkets, call centres, food delivery, tutoring and nannying. Go to online job boards and LinkedIn (here’s a list of Job Search Sites) and explore the kinds of roles being advertised. Start by doing a search with no criteria (except your location) and see what's being posted by recruiters. Keep an open mind and consider potential areas you may be able to utilise your transferable skills to bring value, even if this is just for the short term.
The following links provide information on the labour market and opportunities available:
Macquarie's Career and Employment Service is offered to all current students during their studies and up to 12 months after they graduate.
We aim to help students in researching organisations and opportunities, searching and applying for jobs, preparing application documents and by providing a platform where students can acquire the skills and experience to get them career-ready.
Career events are updated in the calendar on a weekly basis. You can register for our presentations, fairs, and seminars through CareerHub and access a range of online tools and resources through CareerWise and MyMQ Career Zone. Instant online resumes reviews are available through CV360.
The service runs several industry-specific fairs and events throughout the year to assist students to understand the range of career outcomes they can achieve with their course and to help grow their professional network. The service is dedicated to empowering students to take control of their career aspirations through providing guidance, tools and support to help them succeed.
We can help you with
The Career and Employment Service is an appointment based service. It offers non-academic career-related advice and consultation and support services like:
- career-focused workshops
- educational programs
- events including industry-specific presentations
- access to a range of resources through CareerWise, MyMQ Career Zone and at MUSE
- instant online resume reviews through CV360
If you require help with your resume or job application you must attend a Resume Drop-In session or classroom workshop prior to booking a 1:1 appointment through CareerHub. If you don't do this, your appointment will be cancelled.
Priority is given to students at risk (including, but not limited to, students with physical or mental health issues, offending behaviour or caring responsibilities) with the option of referral to Student Wellbeing.
We can't help you with
Macquarie has many service areas that provide you with the appropriate and focused support. Career and Employment Service don't provide the following services:
- Academic or course advice
- MGSM Career Service are the appropriate group for MGSM students
- Consultation with students who graduated over 12 months ago. There are two other services available to students that graduated over 12 months ago from MQU:
- Career Advantage MQ Program which is a career planning program conducted by graduate students within the Psychology Clinic. You will have to pay a discounted fee for the service
- Career Development Association of Australia which can give you a listing of services offered by commercial career practitioners.
- On-campus hiring for students or professional staff. For information regarding this visit Campus Life or the university's employment page for further opportunities
- Act as an agent to applicants of opportunities on CareerHub. We do not select/ screen or put applicants forward to organisations. Applicants who apply for opportunities do so independently and directly with the organisation.