Welfare services

Welfare services

Our Welfare Service can help you if you’re experiencing social or financial difficulties.Here is a Financial Support Cheat Sheet to help.

MQ Student Success Support Package Applications Updated for 2020 have now closed.

International Student Welfare Services Hub

Study NSW and the Australian international education sector are working hard to support the health, wellbeing, and academic success of international students. A key priority is to ensure that international students have information about the support services that are available to them in Australia – locally and nationally. See here for more information.

International Student Discounted Accommodation

The International Student Support Network (ISSN) is an AHN initiative providing short-term, discounted homestay to eligible international students impacted as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Students whose education providers identify them as being financially vulnerable and needing support and assistance with accommodation can be referred to the ISSN to apply for a heavily discounted full meals homestay placement. Find more information here.

Contact Student Wellbeing

Phone: (02) 9850 7497
Email: wellbeing@mq.edu.au

Ground Floor, Australian Hearing Hub
16 University Avenue
Macquarie University
North Ryde NSW 2109

Opening Hours: 

Monday to Friday - 8:30am to 5:30pm (excluding public holidays).

Financial problems

If you are having difficulties with paying your fees, you can apply to extend your payment deadline.

Domestic Students - Fee Extension

To apply for a Fee Extension as a domestic student, you must put in an equiry via ask.mq.edu.au with "extension request" as the subject heading.

You will be advised of an outcome within two weeks.

International Students (excluding HDR students)

To apply for a Fee Extension as an international student, you must put in an International Fee Extension application via ask.mq.edu.au. Once you log in as a current student, you will find the online application form under 'International Student Forms'.

You should receive a response within approximately 15 working days.

Higher Degree Research (HDR) students

To apply for a Fee Extension as an HDR student, you must complete the application via ask.mq.edu.au. Once you log in as a current student, you will find the Higher Degree Research Extension form under "HDR".

You should receive a response within approximately 15 working days.

For more information, visit the Difficulties with Payment website.

At Student Wellbeing, the Welfare Service can assist you with:

  • budgeting and saving strategies/dealing with debt
  • access to emergency loans
  • scholarships (applications and conditions)
  • student loans and grants
  • Youth Allowance/Austudy issues
  • advice regarding International Student Fee Extensions

We also can refer you to external services to help you with:

  • dealing with debt and creditors
  • financial counselling services

So that we can best help you, please bring any relevant documentation along to your appointment (for example: financial statements, debt notices, letters from Centrelink, or proof of your need for a fee extension).

Legal problems

The Welfare Service provides support, information, advocacy and referral on accessing legal advice for matters including:

  • traffic offences and motor vehicle accidents
  • employment rights
  • harassment/discrimination
  • domestic violence matters
  • assault charges/criminal charges
  • frauds and scams
  • consumer rights
  • family law matters
  • immigration matters

The Welfare Service does not provide a legal service nor offer legal advice; however they can assist with accessing legal services in the community.

Macquarie is the first university in NSW to offer our international students free access to an innovative, multilingual legal information app that addresses issues you might experience while you’re studying in Australia.

My Legal Mate is the first-of-its-kind app that allows international students to get 24/7 access to free legal resources. The app provides legal information about areas such as employment, housing, disputes and sexual assault. The video format and ‘Questions and Answers’ modules offer practical solutions in several different languages – English, Mandarin, Hindi, Korean, Portuguese, Thai and Vietnamese.

Tenancy & rental issues

We can help you with tenancy and renting matters, including accommodation options. We work closely with the University’s Accommodation Service.

Contact us if you have concerns about:

  • your rights/obligations as a tenant
  • problems with your landlord
  • problems with the quality of your residence
  • payments and bonds

If for some reason you are unable to stay in your accommodation due to circumstances outside your control you may be eligible for Emergency Housing. Contact our service as soon as possible to discuss your options.

Relationships, sexuality and family

Our Counselling team can discuss any type of relationship matter you might be experiencing. You can talk to us about:

  • family relationships
  • intimate relationships
  • healthy relationships
  • domestic violence matters
  • sexuality matters
  • sexual health matters

We also provide support for families regarding:

  • parenting
  • support for parents
  • childcare options (including on-campus childcare)

To connect with the Counselling service, please complete the Counselling Intake Form. A clinician will be in touch within 2 working days to discuss your responses and arrange a suitable appointment with you.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us on 9850 7497 between 8:00am-6:00pm.

Sexual assault and harassment support

If you require support in regards to Sexual Assault/Harassment, please call 1800 737 732 (1800 RESPECT) for counselling support and refer to the Respect. Now. Always. Support website for useful support information.

You are also welcome to contact Student Wellbeing on 02 9850 7497 or wellbeing@mq.edu.au.

Assistance in returning from exclusion

If you have been excluded from your studies in the past, you may be referred to Student Wellbeing to develop a support plan as part of your return. The Student Advocacy and Support Services within Student Wellbeing can assist you with your return to university and guide you with any other concerns you may have about resuming study. Our Advocacy team are best equipped to guide you as they are experts in university policies ad procedures.

To connect with Advocacy, please complete the Request for Help - Student Advocacy and Support Form. Once you have completed the form, you will be contacted within approximately 15 working days (and sometimes a lot sooner, especially if you have upcoming deadlines).

Back to the top of this page