Your identity at Macquarie

The Macquarie University campus card is your key to a range of resources, facilities and services on campus and is valid for the period of your enrolment.

Your campus card is your identification as a Macquarie student and carries your:

  • name  (Preferred Name if you have one, and Legal Name)
  • photograph
  • student number (which is your MQ OneID)
  • a barcode for use at the:

It is accepted across the University and provides:

  • your University ID, the only official proof of identity for University purposes
  • access to campus facilities and buildings where swipe access is required
  • Library borrowing, printing and photocopying services
  • access to discounts (eg for student concession at cinemas – you will need to show your card)
  • transport concession – if requested by railway transport officers, you will need to show your campus card in conjunction with your tertiary student concession Opal card.

These features will be active when you receive your card and you can use them straight away.

Macquarie is committed to maintaining the privacy of your student records and information.

It is important that you are aware of the different processes involved with obtaining your campus card.

The following process is for students who are requesting their first campus card. If you have previously been issued a campus card and require a replacement, please refer to the information under the 'Replacement Cards' heading below.

Make sure your details, particularly your Australian address, are correct in eStudent before you proceed.

Please allow three weeks for delivery by post once your photo has been approved.

1. Upload your own photo and government-issued ID via CaptureMe.

  1. Log in to the CaptureMe website.
  2. Enter your personal details (your name, student ID and email address).
  3. The University's secure servers will verify your enrolment.
  4. Once verified, use the CaptureMe system to upload your own photo.
Acceptable photo

Example of student campus card photo

  • A recent passport-style photo is what is required (see example left) – but you are allowed to smile in your campus card photo.
    • The photo should be in colour
    • We need to see your face clearly, so the photo only needs to cover your head and neck.
    • Stand face on to the camera – you don't need to show us your best side, or over-shoulder-look.
    • No filters or adjustments – you look great without them.

The images you provide to CaptureMe will be stored on the University's secure server. These will only be accessed, used, and disclosed in accordance with the University's privacy compliance framework.

Acceptable government ID

Your government ID will need to be:

  • in English or with English translation
  • valid/current
  • government approved

Some reasons ID will be rejected are:

  • Expired ID Type: Submit a valid form of ID. We are unable to accept out of date forms of identification
  • Incorrect ID Type: Resubmit in English or with English translation either a:
    • Passport
    • Driver License
    • Proof of Age card
  • Low-Resolution ID: If we are unable to read the attached image, resubmit your ID in a higher resolution.
  • ID doesn't match: If we are unable to verify the two submissions are the same person, upload an alternative photo or ID.

2. You will receive an email from CaptureMe

This will inform the status of your request.

Examples of the status could be:

  • approved
  • card printed
  • your photo was not acceptable in which case you will need to submit a new photo

Photos may be declined if they are:

  • too old and not a recent likeness of you
  • too filtered or edited
  • a photo taken and treated as a joke or other improper content

3. Your card will be posted

It will be sent to the Australian address you provided in eStudent, so make sure your details are correct.

Please allow three weeks for delivery by post once your photo has been approved.

Conditions of use

The following conditions apply to your campus card:

  • The card is non-transferable and must not be used by anyone other than the cardholder.
  • The card is the property of Macquarie University and should be returned to the University at the end of your candidature.
  • You should carry your card at all times and present it when requested by University staff.
  • Sign your card immediately when you receive it.

The following options are for students. Staff, should visit Service Connect to organise a replacement card.

Pay and collect

Pay online

Using our online payment gateway, complete the campus card replacement request form to pay for your card.

When requesting your replacement card you can choose from the following two options:

1. Collect on campus
  • Visit Service Connect on the Ground Floor, 18 Wally's Walk.
  • Bring your receipt and a valid form of photo ID, ie:
    • driver licence
    • passport
  • Collect from the Campus Card Desk.

2. Have your campus card posted to you
  • Order and pay for your replacement card online.
  • Choose to have it posted out to your nominated postal address.
  • Your existing photo in the system will be used for this option.
  • An extra $1.25 will be added to the replacement cost to cover postage.
Pay and collect in person
Pay and collect on campus

Visit Service Connect on the Ground Floor, 18 Wally's Walk, and using the tablet provided (or your own device), request and pay for a replacement campus card.

Note: You will need to bring your actual Visa/Mastercard to pay in person as phone tap or other such forms of payment are not possible on the device.

Once payment has been processed and a receipt issued, present this to the staff at the Campus Card Desk, along with a form of photo ID (eg driver licence, passport) and your card will be printed.

Note: Once a replacement campus card has been issued, the previous lost/damaged card becomes invalid and unable to be used.

Types of replacement cards

Lost and stolen cards
  • Lost and stolen cards may incur a replacement fee of $15.
  • If your card is lost or stolen, inform the University as soon as possible. It is important we cancel any building access you may have as quickly as a priority.
  • Once your card has been reported lost or stolen, you will need to visit Service Connect to obtain a replacement.
  • In some circumstances, there may be a fee for issuing a replacement card, as described below.
  • We recommend you treat your card like your banking cards — keep it safe at all times. Never give your campus card to anyone else.
  • Report lost cards to the library immediately. Until the library is notified, you will be liable for any items borrowed by unauthorised use of your lost card.
Damaged cards
  • Damaged cards incur a replacement fee of $15.
  • If your card is damaged and you require a replacement, visit Service Connect on the Ground Floor, 18 Wally's Walk during opening hours and bring your damaged card with you.
  • Accidental damage can cause parts of the card to stop working. Damage such as punching a hole in a card to attach a lanyard can also shorten the life of the card or stop it working altogether.
  • We recommend treating your card with care and keeping it in a safe place when not in use.
Updated photo
  • Requests to produce a new student card to enable an updated photo incur a replacement fee of $15.
  • You may need to gain approval before a replacement card is issued for an updated photo.

You can ensure a good photo on your campus card by:

  • checking your appearance before you have the photo taken
  • looking straight into the camera
  • asking to see the photo before the card is printed

Remember that the photo is for ID purposes only – Service Connect staff will do the best they can with the camera/print resources available.

Change of name/details

A replacement fee of $15 will be applied if you want to:

  • Change your name, for example after marriage, divorce, or legal change of name
  • Add/change a Preferred Name
Faulty or inaccurate cards

Service Connect will replace campus cards at no charge if:

  • the card is deemed faulty/defective
  • if the data on the card (ie name or student ID) is incorrect at the time of issuing.

Visit Service Connect during opening hours and bring your card with you to arrange a replacement.

Temporary exam card

You need to provide photo identification to enter an exam.

A temporary exam card is only available during the final examination period after the last week of session. This service will be available at Service Connect half an hour before on-campus exams commence each day and one hour after the start time of the last on-campus exam each day.

As well as your Campus Card or a Temporary Exam card issued by Service Connect, you can also use these methods of photo identification to enter an exam venue:

  • Australian driver licence
  • Australian/NSW photo ID card
  • Passport

If you do not have your campus card or other appropriate ID with you for any reason on a day when you have an exam, Service Connect will issue a temporary exam card is only valid for one day. This temporary pass is free but will invalidate your current campus card.

You must have one of the above IDs or have replaced your campus card for a fee of $15 before your next exam.

Multiple temporary exam passes cannot be issued during the same exam period. Note : You can also use your passport or driver licence (both need to be in English language) as a valid form of identification for entry to exams.


You must produce your Campus Card to enter the exam venue so it is important you keep it safe at all times. If you do not have your Campus Card, you may apply for a temporary exam card or you can also use your driver licence, passport, or NSW government issued photo card as an alternative to your Campus Card. A temporary exam card is only available during the final examination period after the last week of session.

You must use one of these forms of identification to enter an exam venue.


You will need your campus card to use many of the library facilities, including:

  • reserving and borrowing resources
  • accessing secured study spaces

The library uses the barcode on your card to identify you.

You will need your OneID to log into the University network to use the IT facilities.

Report lost cards to the library immediately. Until the library is notified, you will be liable for any items borrowed by unauthorised use of your lost card.

You can find more information about library services by visiting the library page.

Print and copy

Your campus card lets you pay for printing and photocopying services across the University as you use them.

You can load funds onto your campus card at recharge stations in the:

  • Library
  • 18 Wally's Walk, Ground Floor

Your charges are automatically deducted from your card balance when you use any of the University's printers or photocopiers.

You can also use iPrint, Macquarie's united approach to greener printing throughout our campus. Upload your documents from anywhere, print from anywhere connected to the internet and pick up from anywhere on campus.

You can download iPrint software straight to your laptop or submit your document directly to iPrint.

Building access

Cards feature a swipe facility enabling you to enter buildings you are authorised to access. Most students will not need access to secured areas on campus. Your department, faculty or unit will advise you if you need to activate your card for swipe access to any buildings or facilities.

The Security Service administers all secure building access on campus. You may only use your own card to enter any secured building.

To enable the swipe access function on your card, you should contact the administrator for the secured area. In most cases, this will be the area's department, faculty or unit. They will authorise your request and instruct the Security Service to grant you access.

You should inform HelpDesk or Service Connect as soon as possible if your card is lost or stolen to prevent unauthorised entry to secured areas.

Building access will be automatically cancelled when your card expires or you leave the University. All cancelled cards will be automatically disabled.

Using your card to access buildings

Tap your card against the reader (making good, flush contact) and hold it in place for three seconds.

For more information on building access, contact Campus Security.

In order to provide the best possible service, it is important you keep your personal details up to date.

Updating your personal information

You can update your details at any time using eStudent.

All information provided for the use of obtaining your campus card will only be accessed, used and disclosed in accordance with the University's privacy policy and as outlined in our Collection of your Personal Information page.