How do I start?

How do I start?

students looking at rockpool

A PACE unit gives you practical experience and skills and at the same time you gain credit towards your degree. It’s a win-win. Here's a few tips to help you get started.

When to do PACE

You usually complete your PACE unit in your second or third year of study. Most degrees include a prescribed PACE unit in the program or qualifying major.  In this case the unit will be clearly marked with a P in the Handbook. Check the handbook to find the right PACE unit for your program.  You can do more than one PACE unit if you have elective space in your degree.

How to apply

All PACE units involve a practical learning activity. Depending on the PACE unit you will be:

  • Allocated into an activity automatically
  • Offered a choice of activity options
  • Required to apply for a local, regional or international activity
  • Asked to arrange your own activity

Starting early

Most students complete the PACE activity while enrolled in the PACE unit. If you need to begin the activity early, before the official university session starts, you can apply for early commencement. Your application for early commencement must be approved by the unit convenor before you can start the activity. If you are unsure whether to apply, speak with your unit convenor or contact the Faculty PACE team.

See PACEWISE Starting Early for more information.

Reasonable adjustments

PACE provides equal opportunities to students of all backgrounds. This includes students who have a disability or health condition. We encourage you to speak with your unit convenor or contact Student Wellbeing to discuss any adjustments you may need.

We are committed to work with you, your Unit Convenor, and the host organisation to ensure you get the most out of your PACE activity.  Find out more about disability support at Macquarie.

Visit the PACEWISE ilearn unit to find out more about:

Preparing for PACE


Starting PACE

so you get the very best from your experience!

Back to the top of this page