Seek support from overseas
If you are an enrolled Macquarie University student but not located in Australia, you are studying offshore. We've provided a list of support services you can access in your country.
Macquarie University support contacts
Under Australian health regulatory law, our psychologists are unable to provide psychological interventions to students located outside Australia. However, below are a range of supports that you can access including some country-specific emergency numbers and mental health hotlines that align with our international student population.
- You can use the CARE reporting system to log requests for help or assistance. More information can be found on the Student care and reporting page.
- The MQ Wellbeing app provides several useful resources to support you in your personal and academic life. You can download it both on Android and iOS.
- For self-guided resources, information can be found here. This includes access to the iLearn unit, WellbeingWISE.
- You can connect to a Wellbeing Advisor through online chat. (Please note, our office hours are 8:30am-5:30pm EST- Australia). Please click here to find out the current time in Sydney.
Office hours (8:30am-5:30pm EST- Australia)- Please click here to find out the current time in Sydney.
- You can call Student Wellbeing on +61 2 9850 7497*.
Outside of office hours
- Our 1800 CARE MQ line can be accessed by calling Student Wellbeing +61 2 9850 7497* and selecting option 1. CARE MQ is equipped to speak with Macquarie University students all over the world and is available 24/7.
*Please note there may be costs for dialling internationally.
In-country support contacts
Many of these programs also have chat and email functions so you can utilise those resources as well if that's preferable.
If you do not see your country listed here and want to check out additional resources Suicide Stop has an extensive, worldwide list.
|Country||Emergency Number||Mental Health Hotline|
|Vietnam||No National Suicide Hotline; Call 113|
|Bangladesh||Kaan Pete Roi is an emotional support helpline.|
|South Korea||Counsel 24: 1566-2525|
|Pakistan||Umang Pakistan offers 24-hour emergency counselling by clinical psychologists over the phone to people in Pakistan.|
|Sri Lanka||Sri Lanka Sumithrayo - Bandarawela: 011 057 2222662|
Mental Health Helpline Nepal is open from 8 am to 8 pm every day for people in Nepal who are in distress, in crisis, or at risk of suicide.
|Nigeria||Hotline: 0700-THE-JOY-HUB (0700-843-569-482)|
|Saudi Arabia||Psychological Counseling Contact Center Hotline: 920 03 33 60|
|Canada||Crisis Services Canada Hotline: 1.833.456.4566 or text: 45645|
Myanmar Emergency Hotline offers 24-hour service to people in Myanmar who are in distress, in crisis, or at risk of suicide.
TPO Cambodia Facebook Messenger Chatbot Suicide Prevention System to get emotional or mental support. You can chat or call via instant hotline.
Tel: 855 17 222 372