Enrolment, commencement and unit support
The following information is for Bachelor of Philosophy (BPhil) and Master of Research (MRes) Year 1 students only. MRes Y2, MPhil and PhD students will be enrolled in their research unit by the Graduate Research Academy.
Session 1 2024 classes commence Monday 19 February.
After your have been admitted
Once the Graduate Research Academy admits you to your course, there are 3 mandatory tasks that you will need to complete in eStudent prior to enrolling. Haven’t used eStudent much before and need help logging in? Watch this tutorial.
The first two mandatory tasks are:
- Accept the Macquarie University Terms and Conditions
- Update your Next of Kin Contact Details.
This tutorial will guide you through the above tasks.
The third task is to:
- Obtain your Unique Student Identifier (USI). The Unique Student Identifier (USI) is a reference number issued by the Australian Government. You can request or recover your Unique Student Identifier via this website: https://www.usi.gov.au/. Once you have done so, you must complete the USI collection form in eStudent. Need some more guidance? Go to the MQ USI webpage.
Before enrolling into your units, please do the following:
- Read the information on Unit Information and Enrolment Patterns, and view the available units in Macquarie’s Course Handbook (search for Bachelor of Philosophy and select your faculty).
- Complete a HDR Unit Selection for BPhil / MRes Form via your eStudent to plan your unit selections, in consultation with your MRes Advisor/Director. The Advisor/Director must approve your unit selection and you should only enrol into approved units to ensure your units form a coherent study plan.
- To submit a HDR Unit Selection for BPhil/MRes Form:
- Log in to eStudent
- Click in the Forms tile
- Search for the ‘HDR Unit Selection for BPhil/MRes’
- Complete the form
Note: Students from the Faculty of Medicine, Health, and Human Sciences must have their USF approved by their Faculty MRes Director. Students from all other Faculties should seek approval of their discipline’s MRes Advisor only.
Once your HDR Unit Selection for BPhil/ MRes Form has been approved by your MRes Advisor/MRes Director, you will receive an email notification confirming that your request has been approved. You will then need to proceed to enrol into your units via eStudent. There are a series of tutorials available in eStudent to help guide you on managing your study plan, enrolling, creating your timetable and withdrawing from your units.
If you are having technical problems enrolling in your units, contact the Graduate Research Candidate Support Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you wish to make any changes to your units or advanced topics selection, it must be within the first 2 weeks of the session, and you must ensure your units are approved by your MRes Advisor/Director before making any changes to enrolment in eStudent.
If you wish to withdraw from units, please refer to the Changes to Candidature webpage (refer to the Changing unit selection tab) for more information on important deadlines, as financial and academic penalties can apply.
If the change involves more than one discipline/faculty, you will be required to consult with and arrange a signature of approval from both departmental MRes Advisors.
Session 1 classes formally commence on Monday, 19 February 2024. Please refer to the calendar of dates for more important dates throughout your program.
Important Changes for Domestic Students
There have been important legislative changes in the last couple of years that may impact both your enrolment and your fees. Please make sure you understand these changes. You can find more information about this on the Macquarie University website.
eStudent will be a valuable resource throughout your studies at Macquarie University. In addition to organising your study plan, you will be able to view your fees or HECS contributions and examination outcomes. As it’s recently had an upgrade, check out this video to see what’s new in eStudent.
Official student email and Office365
All graduate research students are issued with two free official University email accounts. Further information is available.
If you are a new graduate research student to Macquarie, you will need to arrange your Campus Card. Information on how to do so is available on Service Connect - Campus Card.
Current Macquarie University students can purchase vPermits to enable them to park on campus. Further information is available.