Hone your skills with professional experience

Teacher Education Students (TES) undertake a series of professional experience placements relevant to their area of study and degree.

This site gives TES key information on the organisation of their placement.

Teacher with two students in the classroom

TES should familiarise themselves with the placement system (iParticipate) and requirements for their professional experience unit. Refer to the six sections below for more information.

iParticipate is the system used at Macquarie University to manage the allocation of TES enrolled in placement and internship units.

It links TES, staff and external organisations to ensure accurate record keeping and data collection.

Teacher-reading-two-boysThe preferencing process is completed via iParticipate.


Preferencing refers to the process of selecting students' preferred placement settings from an availability list. The preferencing process is conducted via iParticipate and is completed several weeks before the scheduled placement.

TES’ preferences may not be guaranteed depending on the availability of placements; however, TES will be contacted by the Work Integrated Learning (WIL) office to confirm their placement offer.

Choosing your preferences via iParticipate

Ensure your residential address is updated on eStudent, as this determines which placements are visible to you.

Learn more about how to choose preferences in iParticpate.

Mandatory checks are prerequisites to verify your eligibility to complete a professional experience placement. They ensure your compliance with compulsory legal obligations.

It is your responsibility to ensure that your mandatory checks are updated on iParticipate as required (see details below). Placement information will NOT be made available until all checks are cleared.

  1. Child Protection Awareness Training (CPAT)
  2. Child Protection Update
  3. Anaphylaxis Training
  4. Working With Children Check (WWCC)
  5. WWCC Probity Declaration form
  6. Work, Health, Safety (WHS) form – to complete on iParticipate under ‘Forms’
  7. Professional Experience Code of Conduct – to complete on iParticipate under ‘Forms’
  8. LANTITE (Literacy and Numeracy for Initial Teacher Education Students)
  9. Pre-Service Teacher Acknowledgement form
  10. Student Details Update
  11. NESA Requirement Self-Check.
Documents to download

WIL Office orders a badge for you once you enrol into your first professional experience unit (no payment required from you). Badge orders are placed in March, and you will be notified of collection dates - usually in April.

If you lost a badge you collected before, or have never received a badge, complete this order form. You are required to pay for a replacement for your lost badge.

You can use a temporary name badge while waiting for your order. Please print your MQ student ID card and collect a name card holder from Arts Concierge, 25B Wally's Walk.

If you are already working as a teacher within a school or centre setting, you can apply to complete professional experience placement during your final year of study at your current place of employment.


Final-year TES enrolled in undergraduate or postgraduate teaching degrees are eligible to apply for work placement in their final year of study. Upon submission, each application is reviewed and assessed for its eligibility.

Application dates

You may apply for a work placement in Session 1 or Session 2 of your final year of study, prior to the respective application deadline (February for S1; May for S2).

Teacher-at-board-in-classroomExpectations during a work placement

The work placement setting must comply with the University’s Professional Experience requirements. This includes adequate supervision by a qualified Supervising Teacher to ensure that you meet the Professional Experience requirements and have sufficient support throughout your placement.

If your employer continues to pay you during your professional experience, you will not be covered by Macquarie University liability insurance.

Check out our FAQs for Work Placement and Waiver B

Application process

Applications for work placement are managed through iParticipate - select "Macquarie School of Education". Detailed instructions and required documentation are outlined in the application form.

Please note that the review and approval process may take several weeks. You will be informed of the outcome of your application via your student email address.

Apply for work placement

The Department of Education (DoE) offers a grant of $250/week plus travel allowance to eligible TES to complete a rural placement in primary and secondary schools.

In addition, the DoE organises shared accommodation for approved TES.

Travel to and from the rural placement setting must be organised and financed by the TES. The rural placement dates run in accordance with the Macquarie University Professional Experience timetable.


  • Be enrolled in the final or penultimate year of your initial teacher education degree.
  • Have a Paid Employee Working with Children Check.
  • Meet all mandatory pre-requisites for placement.
  • Be committed to the values of public education.
  • Be eligible and ready to work in a department school at the completion of your degree.
Teacher-childHow to apply for a DoE rural placement

Final year TES

If you are enrolled in your final year of a primary or secondary teaching degree, please complete application for rural placement final year.

Penultimate year TES

If you are enrolled in your penultimate year of a primary or secondary teaching degree, please complete application for rural placement penultimate year.

The health and wellbeing of our students is a high priority. This page lists the resources available to you, should you require assistance while completing your professional experience placement.

Emergency contacts

University life can be stressful. Counselling can help develop helpful behaviour and thinking to improve your mood and your ability to cope and manage stressful times. See more information about student counselling services.

Reporting injuries, hazards and safety concerns

If you have experienced an injury on placement, you need to follow these steps:

  1. Immediately tell someone at your placement setting – your Supervising Teacher, the Practicum coordinator or another member of staff.
  2. Inform the WIL office: arts.wil_admin@mq.edu.au.
  3. Inform your assigned Tertiary Supervisor.
  4. Lodge a ROAR form to report the incident.