Academic skills development
The Learning Skills Unit (LSU) offers services and online resources designed to enhance academic skills development and performance. These include:
- workshops for students on academic writing and communication
- online resources
- advice for staff on integrating academic literacy within the curriculum
Learning advisers can help you with:
- analysing assignment questions
- structuring your assignment
- reading and writing critically
- time management
- exam preparation
- paraphrasing and referencing
- academic language development
- academic writing style
Learning advisers do not:
- provide proofreading, editing or reviewing services of any kind
- give students answers to their assignments or ‘fix up’ their assignments
- explain subject content to students
- help students with IELTS preparation. The IELTS Test Centre and the English Language Centre (MUELC) offer test preparation services, courses and resources to support students in test preparation
- teach English. The English Language Centre offers English language courses for international students.
A learning adviser is available at the library information desk to answer your questions about academic writing and study strategies. It’s helpful to bring your assignment questions, unit guides and/or marked assignments with you.
Info desk hours: Monday–Friday 12pm to 2pm
(Week 3 to Week 13 and during mid-session break)
You can also contact a learning adviser using the form below. Messages are checked during business hours, and you should receive a reply within one to two working days.