Confirming the legitimacy of your documents

Do you need to get your documents certified? Find out what to do and who to turn to.

Certified document/photocopy

You need to provide Macquarie University with supporting documents which can be either original documents or certified copies.

A certified copy is a photocopy of the original that has been 'certified' as a true copy.

Certifying a document

A document can be certified by a Justice of the Peace or someone currently employed as one of the following:

  • accountant – a member of a recognised professional accounting body or a registered tax agent
  • bank manager
  • credit union branch manager
  • commissioner for declarations
  • barrister, solicitor or patent attorney
  • police officer
  • postal manager
  • principal of an Australian secondary college, high school or primary school
  • doctor, pharmacist or registered nurse
  • defence force officer

Find Justice of the Peace services at Student Connect. Note that this is service is currently unavailable due to COVID-19 requirements.

Certifying documents outside of Australia

Most Australian embassies, high commissions and consulates will certify documents that are intended for use in Australia.

Visit Smartraveller for more information.

Contact us

  • Student Connect
  • Macquarie University
  • 18 Wally’s Walk NSW 2109
  • T: +61 (2) 9850 6410