Applying for undergraduate course transfer

Find more information about the undergraduate course transfer application process below.

Make sure you have read all the information about undergraduate course transfer, the transfer process, and eligibility before starting your transfer application.

Application dates

Applications for Session 1 2022 will open later this year.

Important information

Applications may take up to 4 weeks to process from the day you submitted. If your application requires finalisation of your grades from the current or previous session of study to be assessed against the Course Transfer Degree Requirements – particularly where degrees require a WAM, specific unit, or certain amount of credit points to be obtained for entry – it will be put on hold until the grades have been released. If the grades are not released by the close of the application period, your request will be cancelled. We thank you for your patience until your application can be assessed.

Before applying

  1. Read the Course Transfer Policy.
  2. Check you meet the eligibility criteria.
  3. Check you meet the transfer requirements for the degree you wish to apply for.
  4. It is recommended that you receive academic advice from the Faculty offering your preferred course before submitting a Course Transfer application to understand what the requirements of the new course will be and how your previous studies will apply.
  5. If you are an international sponsored student (ie a non-Australian government sponsor pays your tuition fees), you MUST receive permission from your sponsor to make the change you are requesting before submitting your application.
  6. If you are an international student check for changes to your fees as a result of your course transfer.


  1. Submit a Course Transfer application during the application dates.
  2. Select your full current degree and major. If you are in a double degree, you must enter your full degree into the form - ensure your degree and major are entered correctly or it could result in cancellation or delays to your application being processed.
    • You can view what degree and major you are studying in your eStudent account and on your eStudent Study Plan. If you need support, contact Student Connect.
  3. Select the degree that you wish to transfer into and a qualifying major or specialisation if applicable.
    • If you are applying for a double degree you must include both parts of the double degree in your application, even if you are already admitted to one. For example, if you are in a Bachelor of Arts and want to add a Bachelor of Laws, you need to apply for the Bachelor of Arts with the Bachelor of Laws. For more information about how to submit an application for a double degree, view our application guide [PDF 94KB].
    • You will not be able to select a further major. However, you can request to add a further major once you have received your Course Transfer outcome. To add a further major, read the information and then submit the form found on the change of major page.
  4. Once you have submitted your application, check your student email account to ensure you have received a confirmation email with your application case number. If you do not receive this confirmation email, contact Student Connect to follow up.

After applying

  1. Course Transfer applications take time to process and some applications may need to be held until after results for Session 2 2021 are released. Wait at least four weeks after you submit your application before enquiring about an outcome. If the course you are applying for relies on Session 2 2021 studies for entry then you will need to wait until after result release to hear an outcome - it may take up to three (3) weeks from the release of results.
  2. Once submitted, if you want to cancel your Course Transfer application, please submit an AskMQ enquiry to request this as soon as possible.
  3. Domestic students must complete a new HECS-HELP form online via eStudent before you are able to enrol into your units. You will also need to submit a new separate SA-HELP form if you are eligible and wish to defer your Student Amenities Fee for your new degree.
  4. If you are an International Student Visa Holder, please complete an online CoE application for a revised CoE for your new course.
  5. Re-enrol in units and re-register in classes via eStudent.
    • Note that you may not be able to re-register into the classes of your choice.
    • If your classes are full, you can contact the Faculty Student Centre to discuss your options.
  6. If you have an Academic Standing of Conditional Enrolment or Probation you may be required to seek academic advice prior to enrolling under your new course.
  7. If you have been granted any credit in your current degree for prior learning outside of Macquarie University, you will be required to apply for Recognition of Prior Learning for any credit to be re-assessed against the new degree.

Terms and conditions

Below are the Terms and Conditions you agree to when submitting your Course Transfer application:

  • I understand that that there might be an increase to my tuition fees or contribution amounts due to the change in my degree.
  • I have checked the Eligibility Criteria and I am confident that I meet these requirements to be eligible to transfer.
  • I have checked the Course Transfer Requirements Table and I am confident that I will meet the transfer requirements for my new degree.
  • I have consulted with an Academic Advisor or Course Convenor regarding the implications of this transfer on my ability to graduate with the new course, and understand that previously completed units may not be applicable to my new course..
  • I understand that if successful this transfer will be made to the newest curriculum.
  • I understand that my transfer into the new degree will be made into the internal version of the course.
  • I understand that my new degree will have a new Weighted Average Mark (WAM).
  • I understand that my Academic Standing will be applied to my new degree.
  • I understand that it is my responsibility to check my enrolment status for all units after I receive the final outcome of this request by email and re-enrol myself were necessary.
  • I understand that if I do not enrol in the first session of study after transferring and record a grade, I will be discontinued from my course and must re-apply as a new applicant to the University if I wish to continue my studies.
  • I understand that it is my responsibility to apply for Recognition of Prior Learning if I wish for any prior learning previously granted in my old course to be re-assessed for my new course.
  • I understand that it is my responsibility to regularly check my official University email account for updates to my Course Transfer application.

Student Connect