Information for U.S. veterans

The Post-9/11 GI Bill offers opportunities for Veterans from the US armed services to enhance their employment potential through further education at home or overseas.

How to apply

  1. Apply online for your Veterans Benefits through the eBenefits of The US Department of Veterans Affairs is the only organisation authorised to determine your eligibility. If you have specific questions relating to eligibility, please contact the US Department of Veterans Affairs directly.
  2. Email your 'Certificate of Eligibility' to the Financial Aid Office at
  3. Review our list of approved programs in the US Veterans Affairs - WEAMS Institution Search website.
    • Institution Name: Macquarie University
    • Click on the University name and then on the programs tab to view all approved programs.
    • Program Type: Institution of Higher Learning
    • Select Country: Australia

If your program does not appear on the list, contact the Financial Aid Office. Macquarie University will submit an application to the Department of Veterans Affairs for program approval.

  1. Once you have finalised your enrolment for each semester/term, please notify the Financial Aid Office via email at The Financial Aid Office will then certify your enrolment for that semester. It is the student's responsibility to contact the Macquarie University Financial Aid Office once you have finalised your enrolment.
  2. When we receive the VA funding, the cheque will be deposited and allocated to your tuition fees. The Financial Aid Office will inform you of any remaining balance which will be disbursed to your bank account. However, if there is an amount owing, you will be asked to pay the amount within 7 days.

Current students

Current students are required to request for their enrolment to be confirmed at the commencement of each semester/term.

If you withdraw or drop a unit(s), you may have to repay all or part of the benefits you received for that unit(s). Therefore, you must notify the Financial Aid Office if you:

  • reduce your hours of enrolment by withdrawing from a unit(s)
  • withdraw from your studies.
  • make any other changes that would affect your status.