Lucy mentoring for students
What is Lucy?
LUCY is a mentoring program in the Faculty of Business and Economics for second-year and above undergraduate female students. It empowers students to identify the skills they need to become future leaders and map their future career paths, by establishing relationships between them and senior executives from the public, private and not-for-profit sectors.
Executives and students:
- work together on small work-based activities such as attending mock interviews, and team and client meetings
- attend the program launch, mid-briefing session and closing event to meet and learn from other program participants (2019 dates below)
- learn fresh perspectives and ways of working from each other.
LUCY runs for five months between May and October each year. In 2019 the dates are:
- program launch: Monday 13 May
- mentee mid-briefing session: Wednesday 14 August 12-2 pm
- closing event: Tuesday 22 October
Both mentors and mentees should commit to spending a minimum of 20 hours mentoring or being mentored over the five-month period of the program.
Find out more about becoming a Lucy mentee
To be eligible to participate in the program as a mentee, you must:
- be female
- be enrolled in the Faculty of Business and Economics
- be in your second year or above of undergraduate studies
- be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or international student
- have a minimum pass average
- commit to completing the program during the specified dates
- commit to assisting future Lucy participants
- have leadership and communication skills.
Preference may be given to students in their penultimate or final study year.
How to apply
Applications are now open for the Lucy Mentoring Program 2019. Please apply by 5pm Monday April 8th by sending an email to email@example.com, attaching:
- your cv or resume
- your academic transcript (this will not be sent to your mentor).
- and telling us:
- why you want to be part of the Lucy program
- what you’re hoping to achieve – what are your goals for the program
- what would you like your mentor to help you with?
We’ll review your application, and will let you know how you’ve gone and any next steps that apply. We may contact you if we need more information to evaluate your application.
"The Lucy Program gave me opportunities to meet an incredible range of professional women and men. It has enhanced my confidence to ask questions, take risks and meet people from a whole range of organisations. The most important thing that I took away from 'Lucy' was that sincere relationships are imperative to workplace success, and knowing what you want and asking for help to achieve it can only lead to positive outcomes."
"It was very inspiring to watch my mentors, who are very effective leaders, as they gave advice and motivated their teams. It put lots of the university subjects into perspective, now I feel inspired to achieve the position of partner, and perhaps even CEO one day!"
Lucy Mentoring Program Coordinator
Phone: (02) 9850 4755