Professional opportunities for students
At Macquarie, it’s our goal to prepare you for the dynamic workplaces of today and tomorrow.
Macquarie University's Career and Employment Service offers non-academic, career-related advice, consultation and support services to all current students during their studies and up to 12 months after they graduate.
We aim to help students:
- research organisations and opportunities
- search and applying for jobs
- prepare application documents
- acquire the skills and experience they need to get career-ready.
The Career and Employment Service is an appointment-based service.
Priority is given to:
- Students at risk including, but not limited to, students with physical or mental health issues, offending behaviour or caring responsibilities. There is also the option of referral to Student Wellbeing.
- Students who have used the self-help tools located on CareerWISE and MyMQ Career Zone.
If you require help with your resume or job application you must attend a Resume Drop-In session or resume workshop prior to booking a one-on-one appointment through CareerHub. If you don't do this, your appointment will be cancelled.
- Monday to Thursday, 9.00am – 5.00pm
- Friday, 9.00am – 4.00pm
Information about our services and online resources can be accessed via CareerWISE. Here you can access:
- MyMQ Career Zone for tools and information to assist you with resumes, cover letter, interviews, LinkedIn, and much more.
- CV360 for instant online resume reviews. Once you've reached a score of 85 per cent by acting on the feedback provided you can submit your resume for review by a Career Advisor.
- Search and apply for jobs including casual, part-time and full-time roles as well as internships, graduate programs and volunteer roles.
- Apply for the Macquarie Student Employment (MQSE) program, which facilitates paid employment opportunities on and off campus by providing employers targeted access to talented students. Students must attend the Fast Track Workshop to become qualified applicants.
- Attend online appointments and workshops on topics including resumes, interviews, job search, LinkedIn and more.
- Attend careers events and networking opportunities, including industry-specific presentations, fairs, and seminars.
Services we don't provide
We do not provide the following services:
- Academic or course advice.
- Consultation with students who graduated over 12 months ago. There are two other services available to students who have graduated over 12 months ago:
- Career Advantage MQ Program which is a career planning program conducted by graduate students within the Psychology Clinic. You will have to pay a discounted fee for the service.
- Career Development Association of Australia which can give you a listing of services offered by commercial career practitioners.
Career services and COVID-19
The Career and Employment Service is open virtually and students can continue to access the wide range of career services available online, via CareerWISE, and register for online workshops and events via CareerHub.
- Employer presentations: We currently have a number of virtual employer events on CareerHub which are open for registration.
- One-on-one career advice appointments: Register for online (via Zoom) or telephone appointments via CareerHub.
- Macquarie Student Employment (MQSE): Workshops and interviews are being conducted online.
Many employers, including graduate employers, have replaced face-to-face recruitment processes with online interviews and assessment centres.
You can prepare for online interviews using this Interview Simulator.
Start your job search on these Job Search Sites with no criteria except for your location. Keep an open mind and consider where you may be able to use your transferable skills, even if this is for a short-term role.
The following links provide information on the labour market and opportunities available: