Domestic students

Refunds are processed by electronic funds transfer (EFT) to your saving/cheque account. Revenue Services issues refunds for student accounts in credit.

How domestic students apply for a refund

If you are entitled to a refund:

  1. You need to apply in writing using the Request for refund of student fees form (Word)
  2. Forward an email request to (Fees, Fines and Loans) or fax the above form to (+612) 9850 9351.

Please provide following details:

  • Account Name
  • Bank
  • Branch
  • BSB No
  • Account Number (not the keycard number).

International students

International students must apply to Macquarie International for refunds.

Generally, refunds for international students will only be processed if a student is in the last semester of his/her study, or is withdrawing completely from his/her course, or given a special consideration.

If you are an international student who has a credit in your student account, but you are not completing your study in the current study period (a continuing student), you will not be eligible for a refund. The credit will remain in your student account and will be allocated towards tuition fees for future semesters. This includes credits from

  • overpayment of fees in any study period, and
  • withdrawal from one or more units after a payment has already been made.

For more details about the International Student Refunds Policy, including a Request for refund of fees form, please go to and follow the links for fee refunds.

How international students apply for a refund

Please ensure you review the International fee refund policy carefully.

Important dates

You may need information about your starting date or census date.

How to apply

  1. If you have not commenced your study at Macquarie University, please contact your International Admissions Officer for a copy of the International withdrawal and release request form.
  2. If you are a current Macquarie University student, please submit your withdrawal and release request first at Ask MQ or complete the International request for fee refund form if your withdrawal has been finalised.
  3. Students who organised their Overseas Students Health Cover (OSHC) through Macquarie University and have not arrived in Australia can organise the refund by lodging the International withdrawal and release request form. Once a student has arrived onshore in Australia, they should contact the OSHC provider directly for a refund.

Refund of commencement fee

Any refund of the commencement fee will depend on when you withdraw from your course. The deduction will depend on the date that Macquarie International receives the Withdrawal from study form:

Prior to commencement date20% deduction 
After arrival in Australia from offshore but prior to the commencement date 20% deduction
On or after commencement date but on or before census date50% deduction
After census date of the commencing study period no refund

Refund of tuition fees (for continuing students)

Once you have completed the first study period (or the first two terms at the Macquarie University International College),You are expected to pay your fees prior to the start of the study period. You may withdraw from a program at any time, however any refund of tuition fees will depend on the date that Macquarie International receives the Notice of Leaving Education Provider form:

Before the first day of the relevant study period  Full refund
On or after the first day of study period but on or before census date of that study period 20% deduction
After census date of the relevant study period No refund

Refund of Study Abroad fee

If you withdraw from a Study Abroad program, you must contact your Study Abroad Coordinator prior to withdrawing or applying for a refund.

Payment of refunds

Payment of refunds will usually be made within four weeks of receiving a correct and complete International request for fee refund form and required documentation. 

Payment will be made by telegraphic transfer or electronic funds transfer (EFT) and will be made in Australian Dollars (AUD) or its foreign exchange equivalent.

Please note that any delays caused by incomplete forms, or by delays from financial institutions, may extend this process to eight weeks.

International students granted Australian permanent residency

If you are granted Australian permanent residency, you need to inform Macquarie University of this change.  All fee adjustments and calculations will be made from the date you notify Macquarie University (not the date that permanent residency is granted).

See Changes to Fees- Changes to your circumstances

Withdrawing from units

Student Admin services provide up to date information on how to withdraw from units of study.

Appeals and further information

If you're not satisfied by the decision made on a refund of fees, you can submit a written appeal to Macquarie International. 

You should include all previous correspondence with Macquarie International. The appeal will be considered by the Chief Operation Officer and Deputy Vice-Chancellor or their nominee, and you'll be informed of the result of the appeal within 14 days of the receipt of the appeal. All appeals should be sent to:

Chief Operation Officer and Deputy Vice-Chancellor
Macquarie International, Building E3A, Level 1
Macquarie University, NSW, 2109, Australia

Back to the top of this page