Assignments and grades
To submit assignments and find your grades in the iLearn environment you will be using Turnitin, Feedback Studio and Gradebook.
There are two types of assignment you can be asked to submit in iLearn. They are a Turnitin assignment and a iLearn assignment.
Turnitin assignment – Turnitin is an online text-matching software that compares submitted papers to databases of academic publications as well as other papers that have been submitted.
Feedback Studio is a product within Turnitin used by your teachers to grade and provide overall feedback on your assignment submissions.
iLearn assignment – An iLearn assignment is where you upload a file to the assignment link within iLearn.
Gradebook shows you the grades for each activity you have completed in an iLearn unit. Once the unit convenor has released a grade to students, you will be able to view all of your grades through the iLearn Gradebook.
Find out more about each of these facilities by exploring the quick guides below:
Access and Submit a Turnitin assignment
There are two types of Turnitin assignments in iLearn. File upload is the most common. Below is a short description on how to make a submission for this type.
- Click on the Turnitin assignment link.
- An overview of instructions for the Turnitin assignment will be provided. Click Submit Paper.
- Enter a Submission Title. Include your student number here unless otherwise specified by your lecturer.
- Click on the Add icon and Browse to select your file to upload.
- Tick the checkbox to agree to the conditions of submission.
The paper being submitted must contain more than 20 words, must be under 40MB (or approximately two million characters), must not exceed 400 pages in length, and must not contain spaces in between every letter (l i k e t h i s).
- Click Add submission.
- The screen will now show that your assignment has been successfully submitted. You will also receive a confirmation email sent to your @students.mq.edu.au email address.
- Click Close in the top right corner.
Depending on how your lecturer has set up the assignment, you may or may not be able to view your similarity report or resubmit your paper multiple times. If your lecturer has allowed you to resubmit your paper, you can see similarity report instantly for the first assignment submission and up to three resubmissions (total of 4 submissions). You need to wait for approximate 24Hrs to see similarity report from 5th resubmission onwards.
When you can resubmit up until the due date, Submit as you normally would.
After you have made a submission, if your lecturer has allowed resubmissions.
When you resubmit from the 5th resubmission, Turnitin can take up to 24 hours to generate a new similarity report. During this time, it will show as pending.
Access results and feedback from a Turnitin assignment
You will be able to access your assignment results and feedback through the iLearn unit once the Turnitin assignment Post date has been reached. Click on the assignment link either in the week/topic or in the Activities block.
Feedback Studio is a product within Turnitin that allows teaching staff to grade and provide feedback for student assignments online. If your lecturer is using Feedback Studio to provide feedback on your assignment, you can access this under My Submissions within the Turnitin assignment.
- Click on the name of your submission to open the Turnitin document viewer.
- Click on the Instructor Feedback icon to view all the quick mark comments on your paper.
- Click on each individual blue quick mark to view the full comment.
- Click on View Rubric to view any marking rubric if available.
- The Text Comment field is an overall for your assignment.
- Click on the Match Overview icon to view your similarity report (if made available by your lecturer).
- To download your feedback click on the Download icon. If you would like to download your teachers feedback and similarity report, make sure both icons are pressed and select Current View. You can also download a copy of your Digital Receipt and the paper you Originally Submitted.
- Your grade will appear in the top right hand corner.
Submit and access feedback from an iLearn assignment
An iLearn assignment is where you upload a file to the assignment link within iLearn.
Submit an iLearn assignment
Follow the steps below to make a submission:
- Click on the assignment link.
- Click on the Add submission button.
- Click on the Add icon and click Browse to select the file you wish to submit or drag and drop the file to upload your file.
- Click Upload this file.
- Click Save changes. You have successfully submitted your assignment.
Access your results and feedback from an iLearn assignment
Once assignments have been assessed, you will be able to access your assignment results and feedback through the unit. In most cases you click on the assignment link either in the week/topic or in the activities block. However, depending on how the assignment has been set up you may receive an email notification that contains a link to the results so you can see results that way.
Grades for each activity in an iLearn unit can be found in the iLearn Gradebook. In Gradebook, the grader report collects items that have been graded from the various iLearn activities that are assessed. Once the unit convenor has released a grade to students, you will be able to view your grades through the iLearn Gradebook. To access Gradebook:
- Click the Navigation drawer and select Grades.