Assignments and grades
To submit assignments and find your grades in the iLearn environment you will be using Turnitin, Grademark and Gradebook.
Turnitin is the online platform you will use to submit your assignments online, it will also check your submission for elements of plagiarism.
Grademark is a product within Turnitin used by your teachers to grade and provide overall feedback on your assignment submissions.
Gradebook shows you the grades for each activity you have completed in an iLearn unit. Once the unit convenor has released a grade to students, you will be able to view all of your grades through the iLearn Gradebook.
Find out more about each of these facilities by exploring the quick guides below:
Access and Submit a Turnitin assignment
To access an assignment, go to your iLearn unit and click on the Assignment or Turnitin link. You will find the link either within a week/topic or in the Activities block on the right-hand side.
There are two types of Turnitin assignments in iLearn. File upload is the most common. Below is a short description on how to make a submission for this type.
- Click on the Turnitin assignment link.
- An overview of instructions for the Turnitin assignment will be provided. Click Submit Paper.
- Enter a Submission Title. Include your student number here unless otherwise specified by your lecturer.
- Assign a Part if the assignment has multiple parts.
- Click on the Add icon and Browse to select your file to upload.
- Tick the checkbox to agree to the conditions of submission.
- Click Add submission.
- The screen will now show that your assignment has been successfully submitted. You will also receive a confirmation email sent to your @students.mq.edu.au email address.
- Click Close in the top right corner.
Depending on how your lecturer has set up the assignment, you may or may not be able to view your originality report or resubmit your paper multiple times. If your lecturer has allowed you to resubmit your paper, it will take 24 hours to generate your second originality report.
Access results and feedback from a Turnitin assignment
You will be able to access your assignment results and feedback through the iLearn unit once the Turnitin assignment Post date has been reached. Click on the assignment link either in the week/topic or in the Activities block.
To access feedback on your assignment you will use GradeMark. If your lecturer is using GradeMark to provide feedback on your assignment, you can access this under My Submissions within the Turnitin assignment.
- Click on the name of your submission to open the Turnitin document viewer.
- Click on the Originality tab to view your originality report (if made available by your lecturer).
- Click on the GradeMark tab to view comments and other feedback from your lecturer.
- Hover your mouse over each of the blue quick marks to view the full comment.
- Your grade will appear in the top right hand corner.
- Click on the speech bubble to view general comments.
- Click to view comments list per page .
- Click to view any marking rubrics if available.
- To print/download your feedback click on the Print/Download icon in the bottom left corner. Click Download PDF or current view for printing. Click Open with Adobe Reader. A PDF version of your assignment will appear containing all the listed comments. Click on the print icon to print your assignment containing the feedback.
Submit and access feedback from an iLearn assignment
iLearn assignment – An iLearn assignment is where you upload a file to the assignment link within iLearn.
Submit an iLearn assignment
Follow the steps below to make a submission:
- Click on the assignment link.
- Click on the Add submission button.
- Click Add and click on the Browse button to select the file you wish to submit or drop and drag the file to upload your file.
- Click Upload this file.
- Click Save changes. You have successfully submitted your assignment.
All common file formats are generally acceptable i.e. DOC, PDF, RTF.
Access your results and feedback from an iLearn assignment
Once assignments have been assessed, you will be able to access
your assignment results and feedback through the iLearn unit.
In most cases you click on the assignment link either in the week/topic or in the activities block. However, depending on how the assignment has been set up you may receive an email notification that contains a link to the results so you can see results that way.
Grades for each activity in an iLearn unit can be found in the iLearn Gradebook. In Gradebook, the grader report collects items that have been graded from the various iLearn activities that are assessed. Once the unit convenor has released a grade to students, you will be able to view your grades through the iLearn Gradebook. To access Gradebook:
- Go to the Tools block.
- Click on Grades.