Transport concession

Transport concession

New Students

If you are enrolled as a full-time student at Macquarie University, you may be eligible for concession travel on public transport in NSW. To order a concession Opal card, follow the steps below.

Continuing Students

Continuing students need to submit a new declaration each year for your concession Opal card to remain active. Don't forget to go to AskMQ to submit your declaration form to allow us to share your eligibility/enrolment status details with Transport for NSW (TfNSW) for this year.


To check your eligibility, access the Transport for NSW (TfNSW) website or read their transport concession guidelines.

International tertiary students are generally not entitled to concession fares in NSW.


Follow these simple steps to apply for your student concession Opal card.

Step 1

Log in to AskMQ and fill out a declaration form to allow MQ to share your eligibility/enrolment status with TfNSW.

Continuing students need to submit a declaration each calendar year.

Step 2

Wait 24-48 Hours for the TfNSW Opal system to receive your declaration.

Step 3

Go to TfNSW Concession Opal Card and apply.

  • Visit
  • Or call 13 67 25 (13 OPAL)

You should ensure you have your enrolment information handy when applying.
Within 5-7 days the concession Opal card will arrive in the post, you should then activate the new card before using it to travel.

If you have filled in the declaration and are having trouble applying, please make sure you check your eligibility.

Verified your eligibility and still having problems?  Check out our FAQs below to troubleshoot your situation.

Student ID

Tertiary student proof of entitlement

  • For travel within the Opal network, tertiary students will require one of the following as well as their Concession Opal card:
    • An Approved Form of Student ID Card (Macquarie's student campus card has been approved by TfNSW) ; OR
    • A Transport Concession Entitlement Card
  • For travel in regional NSW (outside the Opal network), tertiary students will require the following in conjunction with a paper ticket:
    • A Transport Concession Entitlement Card

Opal tertiary student ID requirements

You must carry these cards when you travel.  If you do not have your concession Opal card and proof of entitlement (ie. student campus card), you will need to pay for and travel with an Adult fare or you may be fined.


Important information about your privacy

To facilitate reforms to the NSW Tertiary Student Transport concession schemes, including the introduction of an electronic ticketing system (concession) under a new scheme agreed with Transport for NSW (TfNSW) the University is now responsible for verifying the eligibility of students to TfNSW.

Once your eligibility is confirmed by the University, the University is required to send your name, date of birth and University OneID directly to TfNSW. This enables TfNSW to process student applications for concession travel.

If you wish to apply for the concession you must complete the application form at the TfNSW website.

Further information about the concession and the eligibility criteria for the concession can be accessed from the TfNSW website.

For Undergraduate students at Macquarie University, full-time is considered to be 9 credit points or more per session. For Postgraduate students at Macquarie University, this varies according to your degree. Please contact Student Connect to check if you are considered full-time.

Consent to disclosure of your personal information

So that the University can send your name, date of birth and University OneID to TfNSW for the purpose of providing of tertiary student concession travel to you, we require you to read and consent to the Privacy Notice and Declaration and agree to the sharing this information TfNSW using this online form.  Information regarding how your information will be used and disclosed by TfNSW is set out in the Privacy Notice and Declaration.

For more information about TfNSW's privacy and information handling practices, please go TfNSW Privacy Statement.

For more information about the privacy and information handling practices related to the ordering and use of the Opal Card in particular, please see the Opal Privacy Policy.

What if I do not want my enrolment information sent to TfNSW?

If you do not want your eligibility/enrolment status information to be shared with TfNSW, then you are not required to provide your consent to the Privacy Notice and Declaration.

If you do not provide your consent, your eligibility status will not be disclosed to TfNSW, however if the University does not disclose your eligibility information to TfNSW, you will be unable to apply for a concession Opal card through the online application process at the TfNSW website (see link above).

FAQs and Troubleshooting

Below is a basic checklist to help you understand any issues with your Opal Concession:

Am I a Domestic Student?

  • You must be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident to be eligible for Concession.
  • You need to reside in NSW

Am I enrolled in a full-time, internal study load?

  • You must be enrolled into a minimum of 30 credit points for the First (Session 1/Winter Vacation) or Second Half year (Session 2/Session 3) in internal mode.

Have I submitted the Transport Declaration Form?

  • A Transport Declaration form must be submitted on Ask MQ for each year you wish to receive Concession
  • Ensure you have submitted a Declaration form for the current year

Have I received an email from Opal saying my card will be blocked?

  • First, ensure you have submitted the Declaration form for the year
  • If you have recently withdrawn from any units, check to see that you are enrolled into the minimum number of internal units for Concession.

Have I changed degrees this year?

Am I an eligible HDRO, MUIC or Exchange student?

  • If so, you may require an eligibility override from Student Connect

Am I eligible due to a Scholarship, Special Considerations, or other circumstances?

  • If so, you may require an eligibility override from Student Connect

Ensure your details match with your Macquarie details

  • When applying for the card on the Opal website, ensure all your details match your Macquarie details, including your student email address

Has my card been blocked by Opal?

  • If so, you will need to request a new Concession card from Transport for NSW
  • Ensure you have submitted the Transport Declaration form and still meet the eligibility requirements

Further information

If you have any queries regarding the above information, you may contact Student Connect.

Student Connect
18 Wally's Walk, Level 2  MUSE
Macquarie University  NSW  2109
Tel: +61 (2) 9850 6410

Back to the top of this page