Financial and personal support

Financial and personal support

We know it's tough being away from your support network of family and friends. We're here for you.

Financial and personal support for international students

Financial support

  • Our Student Success Support Package provides financial support to help you meet your financial needs
  • Early release of superannuation is an option for international students who have been in Australia longer than 12 months and find themselves in financial hardship. Applications via myGov
  • Depending on your visa status, you may be eligible for the Australian Government’s Special Benefit, for people experiencing severe financial hardship who do not qualify for another form of payment. Find out more here

Emergency accommodation

  • NSW Government is funding temporary crisis accommodation for vulnerable international students for a period of 12 weeks. Find out more and apply here

NOTE: The University can provide you with a letter of support if you're currently enrolled and have applied for the Student Success Support Package. Please send your request to

Getting food

Finding paid employment

Legal advice

  • Download our free My Legal Mate app to understand your employment and accommodation rights
  • Redfern Legal Centre runs a free and confidential Legal Service for international students living in New South Wales, Australia.

Travel and student visa

  • For more information about your visa, ask for help from the Australian Government through WhatsApp
  • The Australian Government has frequently asked questions and answers for international students, or you can call the Australian National coronavirus hotline: 1800 020 080
  • You can also speak to your consulate general and embassy in Sydney by finding them here.

Community support

The NSW Government provides a range of supports for international students:

Find your community at Macquarie:

Feeling unwell?

You can contact Macquarie's GP Health Clinic to book an appointment.

Student Wellbeing is also available if you need more support.

Back to the top of this page