After arrival

After arrival

You can set up a mobile phone, arrange internet connection, organise student health cover and activate your bank account shortly after you arrive in Sydney.

Set up a mobile phone 

  • On a prepaid plan, you pay in advance for your mobile phone use and you don't pay any monthly bills
  • You can purchase a SIM card from any supermarket, activate your mobile and obtain a contact number
  • A prepaid voucher (phone credit) can be purchased from either the supermarket or by accessing your service provider's website
  • A postpaid plan is a long-term contract for either 12 or 24 months where you agree to pay a minimum monthly amount
  • You can purchase a phone on a plan by signing a contract at a mobile phone retailer. To find the best deal, do your research online and visit retail outlets at shopping centres
  • Refer to NSW Fair Trading and the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) for advice on purchasing a mobile
  • Refer to emergency contacts for important numbers to save in your phone

Get on the internet

  • Off campus, free internet access is available at several places around Sydney; for example, the airport, McDonald's and some coffee shops. This service can be used if you have a wireless device like a laptop or mobile phone.
  • The internet can also be accessed at internet cafes. The closest internet cafe to the University is located at the Macquarie Centre (The Loft, level 4).
  • On campus, wi-fi is available in most areas. You need to have completed your enrolment and first-time login to access this service on your personal devices.
  • There are several computer labs on campus that are monitored by Campus Security after hours. To access the labs, you will need to show your Campus Card.
  • To organise internet access where you're living, contact internet service providers directly. The Australian Government has advice on choosing a provider.

Overseas Student Health Cover 

  • You can print your temporary card at Overseas Student Health Cover Card. Your policy number is your Student ID number found in your letter of offer and Confirmation of Enrolment followed by 'MU'
  • If you don't have your OSHC card, you will be required to pay upfront fees for medical consultations. You can request a receipt when you pay and then lodge a claim with your provider

Bank account

There are a number of banks located at Macquarie Centre. Banks are open from 9.30 am to 4pm, Monday to Thursday, or from 9.30 am to 5pm on Fridays. Make sure you ask if they have a 'student account' offering discounted or no fees. It's also a good idea to check on rates and processing fees if you're planning on transferring currency. If you do not have an Australian Tax File Number (TFN), you will be required to provide your taxpayer identification number (TIN) or equivalent to open a new account. Please refer to Foreign Tax Resident Reporting for more information and list of TIN equivalents and the names of tax authorities.

Back to the top of this page