Cultural safety is a key component for the wellbeing and success of Indigenous students studying at the University. Walanga Muru strives to provide a culturally inclusive and safe environment for all Indigenous students and staff, through the offering of physical spaces and supportive assistance.
Cultural safety is achieved for all Indigenous staff and students by:
- providing students with access to Walanga Muru, a culturally safe space for Indigenous students to study, relax and meet other students
- employing Indigenous staff at Walanga Muru to support Indigenous students
- providing students with access to the Walanga Muru computer lab, kitchen and common room
- offering students access to Bubuk, an Indigenous library space
- providing students with access to a range of academic support services
- providing ongoing cultural development support to Indigenous students
- offering the opportunity for Indigenous students to participate in the Indigenous Cadetship Program 'Nanga Mai'
- building reciprocal relationships between Walanga Muru and academic support services in each faculty
- providing opportunities for faculties to build their cultural capability and understanding about Aboriginal culture.