What is a certified document/photocopy?
Supporting documents must be provided to Macquarie University as either original documents or certified copies. A certified copy is a photocopy of the original that has been 'certified' as a true copy of the original.
Who can certify a document?
A document can be certified by a Justice of the Peace or someone currently employed as one of the following:
- Accountant – member of a recognised professional accounting body or a registered tax agent
- Bank manager
- Credit union branch manager
- Commissioner for declarations
- Barrister, solicitor or patent attorney
- Police officer
- Postal manager
- Principal of an Australian secondary college, high school or primary school
- Doctor, pharmacist or registered nurse
- Defence force officer
Justice of the Peace services can be found at Student Connect located at 18 Wally's Walk, Level 2 MUSE. This service is available Tuesday and Thursday from 2-3pm and is provided for Macquarie students/staff and university related matters.
How to certify documents outside of Australia
Most Australian embassies, high commissions and consulates will certify documents that are intended for use in Australia. Visit Smartraveller for more information.