Week 0 (Orientation)
Step 2: Make the most of Week 0 – your orientation!
The best way to be ready to start your studies is to attend orientation, also known as Week 0 (zero). Week 0 runs the week before session starts and it’s a series of virtual events and informative activities designed to make sure you're prepared to get off to a great start with us - academically, personally, socially and professionally.
For Session 2, 2020 all Week 0 events were held online from Monday 20 to Friday 24 July.
Did you miss Week 0?
Complete this to-do list to catch up and remember, Student Connect is here to help you!
- Check your emails - we've been sending you important information on what to do
- Order your campus card - we'll mail it out to you with an MQ2020 Student Essentials Diary
- Watch the Week 0 recordings relevant to you
- Join our Peer Mentor Program to connect with a current student who'll help you hit the ground running
- Bookmark our student news and events page to stay up to date with what's on each week.
Watch the Week 0 recordings
Faculty and course orientations
Faculty of Arts
Macquarie Business School
Faculty of Medicine, Health and Human Sciences
Faculty of Science and Engineering - coming soon!
Student life sessions
International Student Welcome - watch now
What should I expect?
Week 0 is all about getting to know your university. You’ll be able to:
- Get important information about your course and how it will be taught
- Meet people - peers and academics from your course, people from your town/country, people you'll be spending time with over the next few years
- Join student groups, clubs or societies through our virtual Student Groups Showcase
- Find out about the many services, support and facilities at MQ to help you succeed in your studies
- Explore your MQ student life by connecting with the community at our fun social activities, without the pressure of attending classes.
While Week 0 is designed for new students, returning current students are welcome to attend - it's a great way to ease back into uni life!
What should I attend?
We've got 4 different kinds of sessions available during Week 0, with dedicated activities for undergraduates, postgraduates and international students.
- Faculty welcomes and course orientations - meet academics and key staff, get essential information about your studies, connect with your peers and ask questions about your course
- Learning zone interactive sessions - help you to become an effective learner (and adult) with tips and advice from our expert staff and current students
- Professional zone webinars - cover everything you need to know about building your career and introduce you to the diverse supports, services and opportunities available to boost your employability
- Social zone events - these are all about having fun, making connections, and introducing you to the ways to get involved in the student community.