HDR Research Writing Groups
Research Writing Groups
Participating in a Research Writing Group is an excellent way to improve your academic literacy, increase your ability to read critically and peer review, and keep motivated in your research writing.
Macquarie University hosts several Research Writing Groups (RWG) for HDR candidates of different interests and levels of experience. Each RWG is tailored to the needs of its members in terms of meeting frequency and duration, and group size and composition. Generally, they are facilitated initially by an HDR Learning Advisor, and later become self-sustaining. Participants of writing groups should be courteous, constructive and respectful in their feedback.
If you'd like to start or join a Research Writing Group with other HDR candidates in your department, email HDR Learning Skills.
Join an existing Research Writing Group
If you're interested in joining an existing RWG, please look through the list below to find an appropriate group.
- Science RWG 1 (fortnightly on Mondays, 12-1pm)
- Science RWG 2 (monthly on Wednesdays, 1-2pm)
- Science RWG 3, combined online/face-to-face (fortnightly on Fridays, 3-4pm)
- Humanities RWG 1 (weekly on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday mornings) - currently full
- Social Science RWG 1, online (fortnightly on Wednesdays, 1-3pm)
- Social Science RWG 3, online (fortnightly on Wednesdays, 12-1pm)
- Business and Economics Thesis Writing Group 1 (fortnightly on Thursday afternoons)
- Business and Economics Thesis Writing Group 2 (fortnightly on Fridays at various times)
- Business and Economics Thesis Writing Group 3, online (fortnightly on Wednesdays, 12:30-1:30pm
To join one of these groups, please email email@example.com with "Request to join a research writing group" as the subject line, and specifying which group you'd like to join in the body of your email.
Create your own Research Writing Group
If you're interested in convening your own writing group and would like to add your group details to this unit or put out a call for fellow HDR candidates, please send us an email.