Progression from MRes to PhD

Have you just submitted your Macquarie Master of Research thesis? Or just received your thesis result? Would you like to progress to PhD?

The information below is specifically for Macquarie University Master of Research students who would like to progress to PhD. If you are not a current MRes student, please go to the How to Apply page.

  • Students who obtain a final mark of 65%-74% in the Master of Research may be eligible to progress to a Master of Philosophy
  • Students who obtain a final mark of 75%+ in the Master of Research may be eligible to progress to a Doctor of Philosophy
  • Approval for admission will also account for:
    • the quality of your research proposal
    • the availability of supervision and appropriate resources
    • the examiners reports of your MRes thesis.

Students wishing to be considered for admission are encouraged to lodge their MRes to PhD Progression eForm (see below) within 3 months of submitting their MRes thesis for examination.

If you are undecided about whether or not to progress to a research degree, you have up to a maximum of 8 months from completing your MRes program to request to progress to an MPhil or PhD via our eForms.

If you wish to continue to the MPhil or PhD,  please complete the HDR - MRes to PhD Progression eForm found in eStudent. This is accessible via the Forms icon in your eStudent.

You will need to upload a copy of your research proposal, as well as any evidence of scholarship or sponsorship funding (if applicable).

  • Your eForm will be sent to the proposed Principal Supervisor and Department indicated on your eForm.
  • They will review your performance in the Master of Research and assess your suitability for undertaking a PhD.
  • They will assess whether your research proposal is acceptable for the program admission and that appropriate resources are available for your project (supervision, research facilities, project funds, general infrastructure and support services).
  • The Department will make a recommendation to the Graduate Research Academy (GRA). The GRA will review the Department’s recommendation, make a determination and issue the final outcome on program admission and scholarship, if applicable.
  • The University recognises that some of your research may be undertaken away from the University. However, if you wish to undertake your program while residing offsite (for example, interstate or overseas), you must first seek approval from your Department and complete Request for Offsite Enrolment form [PDF 356KB]. The Department must be satisfied that students are adequately supervised and have access to resources and facilities to complete their program within the required time frame. The Department will consider the circumstances and make a determination on a case by case basis.
  • Onsite students wishing to conduct research for a short period of time offsite (for example to visit a library/archive, attend a conference, conduct fieldwork or visit a lab) are required to follow their department/faculty processes for recording this. This does not need to be completed now, but when travel preparations are being made after successful admission and enrolment. Note the maximum period of this type of combined offsite research (often referred to as OSR) is 12 months.
  • Definitions for onsite and offsite enrolment can be found in the Offsite Research Enrolment Policy

Scholarships are considered on a competitive basis and are based on academic merit. Scholarships are for full time, onsite study. They typically include 3 years of tuition fee offset, and a three-year stipend (2024 stipend rate is $35,000 p.a. fixed rate).

Part-time scholarship

If you wish to complete your research program on a part time basis, please note that scholarships for part time enrolment will only be granted in exceptional circumstances; normally where a student is unable to study full time due to compelling reasons such as evidence of significant carer responsibilities or a medical condition. Requests must be made to the Graduate Research Academy via email at and must have supporting documentation associated with the request.