On the program

On the program

What to do once you're accepted

If you are accepted into a Semester or Short-Term Exchange program, you will be added to an exchange iLearn unit under the 'Community Units' section where you can access the information required to finalise your exchange program arrangements. You will need to have accepted your offer to be given access to the iLearn unit.

Key items to complete after acceptance into the program include:

  • Reviewing all content in the iLearn unit (and reviewing any updates to the unit when advised)
  • Preparing a study plan and obtaining academic credit approvals
  • Submitting your travel and insurance details form
  • Arranging your travel, insurance, visa, and accommodation details


Is accommodation available and guaranteed overseas?

Accommodation is not guaranteed. Exchange universities have staff available to assist students in securing housing.

Will I be able to live on campus at the overseas university?

Students generally choose to live in residential colleges on their host university campuses (very common in North America).

It is recommended that you choose on-campus accommodation if it is available; it is the best way to meet local students and get involved in university life.

Application for housing is often included as part of your application to your host university, but this will depend on the institution — some universities require a separate application for housing.


How do I fill in the travel and insurance details form?

You will receive an email with a weblink to an online form. You will be able to submit the below details to us via this online form. Please ensure that you read the instructions for completing the Travel and Insurance Details Form prior to filling up the form as you can only do it ONCE. You will only be sent this once you have been accepted by the host university. If you are communicating directly with the host university, please ensure you update us once you have received your acceptance from them to avoid delay in grant and/or loan payments.

Details required include:

  • Departure Date = date of your departure
  • Prog Start Date = Program start date
  • Mid Sem Start = Mid semester start date
  • Mid Sem End = Mid semester end date
  • Prog End Date = Program end date
  • Return Date = The date you return to Australia
  • Centrelink? = Do you receive Centrelink benefits/payment?
  • Copy of your Travel Insurance (PDF format) which needs to be uploaded in the "attachments" field.

Will I need to book my own travel arrangements?

Yes, you are required to make your own travel arrangements.

When should I book my flights?

After you have been notified of your official acceptance to the host university. Should you choose to buy the airfare before this time due to limited flights or prior arrangements, you assume all risk for loss of funds


Do I need to buy travel insurance?

Yes.  All students participating in a Student Exchange program through Macquarie University are required to be covered by travel insurance from the day they leave Australia until the day you return. 

Macquarie University's insurer, AIG Insurance, will cover you while you are at your host university participating in academic activities, not for leisure activities. Students may either purchase their own insurance policy to cover leisure activities, or extend their coverage with AIG Insurance. It is your choice which policy you purchase, however it is recommended that the coverage meet the following minimum requirements :

  • unlimited medical expenses 
  • Unlimited medical evacuation costs
  • at least AU$1 million medical evacuation costs and AU$10,000 repatriation costs 
  • at least AU$2.5 million in public liability insurance

Please note that it is the student's responsibility to ensure that they are appropriately covered by insurance that suits their personal circumstances, and to know what exactly their travel insurance does and does not cover. You also have the option to top up the university policy for the leisure time you spend prior or after your exchange program. More information can be obtained by emailing Insurance.MQ@mq.edu.au or traveladvice@mq.edu.au.

Students will be required to upload a copy of their additional travel insurance as a PDF document through the update request form that will be sent to you at the relevant time.


Will I need to get a student visa?

Most students will need to get a student visa in order to enter their host country. Obtaining a visa is your responsibility, as is abiding by its conditions.

How do I get a visa?

Please apply to the relevant country embassy/consulate.

You will apply for your visa after your official acceptance into the Macquarie University Student Exchange Program and after you have been accepted by your host university.

Your official acceptance by your host university may simply be in the form of a letter of acceptance, or it may be a more sophisticated form of visa documentation (particularly in the case of the USA). You will be required to take this official documentation to the appropriate consulate to apply for your student visa.

If you hold multiple passports, such as an Australian passport and a British passport, we encourage you to obtain a student visa and travel using your Australian passport.

Again, please note that arranging your visa will be your responsibility. The staff at Macquarie International are not authorised to give any specific advice relating to visas.

After exchange 

I am trying to enrol into units for the next semester, but am unable to as I completed some pre-requisites on exchange. How can I fix this?

You can request a waiver which allows you to enrol through AskMQ. You will need to upload the transcript from your host university as proof you have passed any prerequisite units while abroad.

I just got back from exchange, how do I ensure I can graduate in the next ceremonies?

You will need to submit an 'I intend to graduate' form via eStudent. When you return, let us know if you are graduating when you provide your host university transcript and we will do our best to ensure your grades are transferred as soon as possible.

My exchange units are not showing up in the correct option space in eStudent. Why is this?

eStudent does not recognise exchange shell units. What the unit represents is written in the course comments section of your transcript. These units are not forgotten, they will be counted along with all other units for you degree completion.

Back to the top of this page