My academic program

My academic program

Academic program approvals

In addition to the general eligibility criteria for exchange, there are academic requirements and approvals which must be met.

Below you will find some general information on what needs to be done before, during, and after your exchange period in relation to your academic program, including answers to some common questions. Further details will also be provided in your exchange Welcome Session and in your iLearn unit.


Before heading on exchange, you will need to develop a study plan of the host university units you would like to take and obtain academic approval for equivalent Macquarie credit. Credit requests are submitted for academic approval using an online form.

Credit requests must be submitted by the advised deadlines in the session prior to your exchange session. Details on how to submit requests are provided in your iLearn unit, including a link to the online form and information on submission deadlines.

In order to go on exchange, you will need to have sufficient host university unit equivalencies approved to enable enrolment in a full time study loan (UG: min 9cp - max 12cp, PG: min 12cp - max 16cp). These credit points must contribute towards meeting your Macquarie degree program requirements. Failure to submit credit requests by the relevant deadlines or to obtain appropriate approvals will result in your withdrawal from the exchange program.


After arrival at your host university, you will need to confirm with Macquarie Abroad which of your pre-approved host units you have enrolled in so that you can be enrolled in shell units at Macquarie that represent your overseas units. Fees are then charged and payable to Macquarie. You will be contacted to confirm your enrolment details at the beginning of session.

Please note that you cannot self-enrol in units at MQ while on exchange. Macquarie Abroad will handle your enrolment for your exchange period.


Upon your return, you will need to submit a copy of your host university transcripts to have your grades transferred and credit applied to your Macquarie degree. Grades are converted on a pass/fail basis for any approved units you undertook.

Answers to Common Questions

Degree program and academic advice

Do I need to talk to anyone in my Department or Faculty before I apply for exchange?

Before applying for exchange, you should read through all the information on this website, review and understand your academic program, your eligibility for exchange, and research the available exchange options.

If you still have specific questions relating to exchange, you may then contact either Macquarie Abroad on for questions relating to applying for exchange or your Faculty academic or program adviser for further information about how exchange might fit in to your degree.

For some programs, like the Bachelor of International Studies, it is compulsory for you to speak with an adviser in your Department before applying for exchange.

Will I have to extend my degree to participate?

This will depend largely on how well you have pre-planned your study and whether you obtain appropriate academic credit approvals for your exchange period. It is important that you understand your degree requirements, what study you have remaining to complete, and how your exchange session will impact on your course progression.

We encourage you to seek advice from an academic adviser in your Faculty before applying for exchange if you are concerned about extending your degree.

If I have a strict degree plan can I add on extra electives to go on exchange?

No. You can only enrol in units that you have space to do as part of your current degree program. These can be required units, electives, or People and Planet units. You cannot undertake your Capstone unit on exchange - this must be completed at Macquarie.

Are there any restrictions on my degree relating to exchange?

Information on eligibility for students in certain degree programs is available on the eligibility requirements page. You should also check the Macquarie University Handbook Archive to verify the specific requirements of your degree program as per the year you were admitted.

As needed, you may seek further program advice from an academic adviser in your Faculty.

I'm in the Bachelor of International Studies. How does exchange work for me?

Students in the Bachelor of International Studies must complete a 12 credit point unit called INTS300 International Studies In-Country Program as part of their degree. The exchange study must relate to the language and culture of their major. Students are required to seek advice from the Department of International Studies prior to applying for exchange.

Unlike the above, students in the Bachelor of International Studies with the degree of Bachelor of Laws must complete a 12 credit point unit called EXLW420 or EXLW534 Exchange Law Study Abroad Program as part of their degree. The exchange study must relate to the Law component of their degree. Students are required to seek advice from the Macquarie Law School prior to applying for exchange.

Please see the eligibility requirements page for more information.

Host university units and credit approvals

Will the units I take overseas count toward my degree?

To receive credit for the units you wish to study while overseas, you must ensure that you:

  • understand your remaining Macquarie degree requirements (if needed, seek program advice from your Faculty)
  • research units at your host institution that match the credit weighting, level, and area of study of your remaining elective units (eg, 200-level elective in Commerce) OR match the credit weighting, level, and content of specific units remaining in your degree (eg, MAS212 Screen Production 1)
  • obtain academic approval prior to departure for Macquarie credit based on the host units you have researched (this is done via an online form - details are in your iLearn unit)
  • verify that the Macquarie credit you have had approved will meet your remaining degree requirements
  • enrol in the units at your host university that were pre-approved for Macquarie credit that count towards meeting your degree requirements
  • successfully complete the relevant host units and apply for a grade transfer upon your return from exchange

How do I find subjects offered at the overseas institutions?

Most host universities will have some form of Academic Handbook (sometimes also called an Academic Calendar or Syllabus) on their website that can be used to find out what units they have on offer. You should be able to locate this by searching the host university's website.

You may also wish to review Macquarie's Credit Transfer Register for information on potential unit mappings for many universities around the world.

Do I have to get my host university units approved before I apply for exchange?

No, you do not need to have units approved before you apply for exchange. However, you must obtain pre-approval of equivalent Macquarie credit for your preferred host university units before you go on exchange. Failure to do so may result in you being withdrawn from the exchange program.

You will need sufficient credit approved to be enrolled full-time at Macquarie (9-12 credit points) while on exchange, and you are encouraged to also obtain some back-up approvals in case you cannot enrol in your preferred host units upon arrival.

How do I get my host university units approved?

The units you wish to take overseas must be approved before you go on exchange. In your iLearn unit, you will find detailed instructions on how to apply for Macquarie credit based on host university units using the online form

Each host university unit you wish to take must be approved. An academic in a relevant Department will assess your request and determine the amount, level, and type of credit you will receive at Macquarie for the units you plan to study overseas.

My destination university website is not in English – what should I do?

Have you carefully checked the ‘front’ page of the website? Many university websites have an English translation that you can click to via a link on the main page, usually in the upper right-hand corner. You may see the word 'English' or a picture of a Union Jack flag near the top or bottom menu bar which will give access to an English version of their website.

If you still do not see any English version available, try using Google Translate or a browser that will enable you to browse in a translated mode - eg, right-clicking on a page using Google Chrome browser gives you the option to 'Translate to English'.

The host university has trimesters, how does this work?

Students will either enrol in one or two trimester(s) at the host university depending on which dates align with the Macquarie semester period. This will be coordinated with the host university at the time of application. The Macquarie enrolment process is explained once students are accepted into the program and will remain the same.

Exchange enrolment and fees

How will enrolment work while I am on exchange?

Enrolment for semester exchange is very different from your normal unit enrolment procedure via e-Student. You cannot self-enrol in exchange units and must ensure you are not enrolled in any standard Macquarie units during your exchange session. Macquarie Abroad will process your exchange enrolment.

Detailed information about enrolment will be provided in the exchange Welcome Session and in your iLearn unit, but in short:

At the start of your semester on exchange, you will be sent an online request asking you to confirm which of your pre-approved host university units you have enrolled in. Macquarie Abroad will then enrol you in special exchange shell units that represent the credit you had pre-approved prior to departure - special comments will be added to your transcript explaining what each shell unit represents. You must enrol in a minimum of 9 credit points at Macquarie of pre-approved exchange credit.

The exchange shell units are allocated to special exchange periods called 'Northern Hemisphere Session 1' (NHS1 - equivalent to Session 1) or 'Northern Hemisphere Session 2' (NHS2 - equivalent to Session 2), depending on what period you are on exchange.

Once we have processed your enrolment, you can then pay your fees to Macquarie or defer them to HECS as normal. Your transcript will look something like this:



Credit points

Unit Name





Exchange Study in Economics at 300 level





Exchange Study in Marketing at 200 level



Exchange Study in Business at 200 level


Note that you are not allowed to be enrolled in internal Macquarie units whilst on exchange. You will need to withdraw from any internal units prior to departing for exchange.

After completion of your exchange period, grades will be marked as incomplete until you obtain your host university transcript and submit it to Macquarie Abroad for processing of your grade transfers. Failure to provide a host university transcript by the relevant deadlines  will result in an automatic fail. Deadlines are either 15 June or 15 December, whichever immediately follows the end of your exchange period.

Can I be enrolled part-time while on exchange?

No. It is a requirement of both Macquarie and of the host institutions that you be enrolled as a full-time student while on exchange.

You will need to be enrolled in the equivalent of a minimum full-time load at Macquarie (UG: min 9cp - max 12cp, PG: min 12cp - max 16cp). You will also need to meet your host institution's definition of a full-time load. This amount may differ at different institutions and may be more than Macquarie's minimum.

Due to their Australian visa requirements, international students will need to be enrolled in a standard full-time load (equivalent to 12 credit points for undergraduate students or 16 credit points for postgraduate students),

What if the classes at my host university are full?

We recommend you put yourself on a waiting list for the full class. If there is no waiting list, watch over it to see if places become available. Like Macquarie, many students will change classes within the first few weeks, and often places become available in full classes during this time.

This is also why we advise you to obtain back-up credit pre-approvals in case you do miss out on your preferred units. This will allow you to choose alternative units at your host university without having to worry about whether the credit will be approved or usable towards your degree.

What fees will I have to pay for my units?

For exchange programs (both semester long and short-term), you do not pay tuition to the host university. Instead, you will be enrolled into a corresponding load of study of exchange shell units at Macquarie University. Enrolment at Macquarie in exchange shell units attracts the same rate of tuition as normal units, which varies by area of study, and fees are paid to Macquarie or deferred to HECS as per the normal process.

For study abroad programs, tuition fees may be payable to the host institution.

See the Fees and Payments page for further information.

Grades and grade transfer

What grades do I need while on exchange?

You are required to pass at least 65% of the units you take at your host university (which must represent a full-time load). A pass is based on the host university's grading scheme. If this is not achieved, you will be required to repay your travel grant. This repayment will be regarded as a debt to the University and sanctions may be placed on your account until repayment has been made.

What will my grades be transferred back as?

Grades from your exchange program will be transferred back to your Macquarie transcript as Satisfactory or Fail only. A pass grade is determined by the host university’s grading scale.

Exemptions Officer Directory

Below is a directory of the academic exemptions officers for each Department or area of study at Macquarie. These officers are responsible for reviewing and approving credit requests for exchange.

Applications for exchange credit are now submitted online to the Macquarie Abroad office for initial review and then directed to the appropriate exemptions officers - details on how to apply for credit are provided in your iLearn unit, including application deadlines. As such, you should generally not have to contact the officers directly unless you require specific exchange credit-related advice.

For advice about your degree program or other academic matters, please consult the relevant Academic and Program Advisers for your Faculty.

Contacts for credit




Faculty of Business and Economics




A/Prof Lisa Wynn

Biological Sciences

A/Prof John Alroy


Prof Danny Wong


Hazel Jenkins

A/Prof Goran Strkalj

Dr Ben Brown

Dr Stephney Whillier

Curtis Rigney
ChineseHui Ling Xu


Cognitive Science

Dr Bianca de


Jackie Walsh

Croatian Studies

Dr Jasna Novak Milic


Darcy Le Raye


Dr Shaokoon Cheng (MECH units only)

Engineering Administration (all other Engineering units)


Dr Ryan Twomey

Environmental Sciences

Fiona Yang


Dr Alex Kurmann

Earth and Planetary Sciences

Dr Mark Lackie


Dr Susanne Binder

Gender Studies

Dr Justine Lloyd

Geography and Planning

Dr Richard Carter-White

Modern History

Leigh Boucher

International Communication

Dr Sarah Keith

International Studies

Dr Maryam Khalid


Mr Gianluca Alimeni

Ancient History

Dr Ian Plant


Kayo Nakazawa


Paul Govind


Linguistics Student Office (UG & PG)

Modern Greek

Dr Elizabeth


Dr Frank Valckenborgh

Media, Music, Communication and Cultural Studies

Dr Sarah Keith


Dr Mianna Lotz




Physics and Astronomy Academic Administration

Security Studies and Criminology

Michelle Lee

Polish Studies

Dr Kamila Walker

Politics and International Relations

Francesco Stolfi

A/Prof Aleksandar Pavkovic (PG)


Dr Alissa Beath

Russian Studies

Dr Marika Kalyuga


Dr Norbert Ebert

Spanish and Latin American

Dr Jane Hanley


Karol Binkowski

Translating & Interpreting

Alice Wu

Back to the top of this page