- Title: Mr
- Position: Lecturer - Department of Accounting and Corporate Governance
- Qualifications: BEc (Hons) Syd
Areas of Expertise
- Internal and external auditing and assurance
- Environmental, social and governance reporting and assurance
- Corporate governance
- Audit committees
- Public sector performance measurement
- Auditing education innovation
- Professional education
Dominic Soh joined the Department of Accounting and Corporate Governance in 2011. He holds a first class honours degree from The University of Sydney.
Dominic has taught across a range of undergraduate and postgraduate subjects including introductory accounting, management accounting, and auditing and assurance. He has been nominated for Faculty Teaching Awards and been the recipient of the Dean's Citation for Tutoring.
Dominic has previously worked in auditing, management accounting, and in a technical role at the Institute of Internal Auditors Australia (IIA). Dominic actively researches in corporate governance and internal and external auditing and assurance and maintains close ties with professional bodies as a member of the IIA's Education Committee, the chair of the IIA's Academic Standards and Quality subcommittee, and through his involvement in the development of assessment and course material for the Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand Audit & Assurance (AAA) Module in the Chartered Accountants Program, and for the IIA's Graduate Certificate in Internal Auditing (GCIA). Dominic is also a co-author of Auditing and Assurance Services: A Case Studies Approach, a text widely used in undergraduate and postgraduate auditing courses across leading Australian universities.
Dominic is currently undertaking his PhD under the supervision of Professor Nonna Martinov-Bennie and Professor Philomena Leung. His doctoral thesis investigates internal assurance and consulting processes on nonfinancial information. His wider research interests are in the areas of corporate governance, external and internal auditing and assurance and performance evaluation.
- Bachelor of Economics (Honours): Accounting, Economics (The University of Sydney)
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research) Research Grant 2012
- 2013 AFAANZ/CPA Australia/ICAA/IPA PhD Scholarship
- Commonwealth Bank Scholarship in Accounting 2008
- R. J.Chambers Scholarship 2008
- Nonfinancial information reporting assurance
- Reconceptualising traditional Auditing assessment design: Incorporating reflective practice in Auditing
- Soh D. S.B. and Martinov-Bennie, N. (2015) 'Internal auditors' perceptions of their role in environmental, social and governance assurance and consulting', Managerial Auditing Journal, 30(1): 80-111.
- Martinov-Bennie, N., D. S. B. Soh and D. Tweedie (2015). "An investigation into the roles, characteristics, expectations and evaluation practices of audit committees." Managerial Auditing Journal 30(8/9): 727-755.
- Soh, D. S. B. (2014). 'Article review: Sustainability Reporting and Assurance: A Historical Analysis on a World-Wide Phenomenon', Social and Environmental Accountability Journal, 34(2): 125.
- Soh, D. S. B. (2012).'Article review: Corporate Governance: A Multi-Theoretical Approach to Recognizing the Wider Influencing Forces Impacting on Organizations.' Social and Environmental Accountability Journal 32(1): 45-46.
- Soh, D. S. B. and N.Martinov-Bennie (2011). 'The internal audit function: Perceptions of internal audit roles, effectiveness, and evaluation.' Managerial Auditing Journal 26(7): 605-622.
- Martinov-Bennie, N., Roebuck, P. and Soh, D. (2016) 'Auditing and Assurance: A Case Studies Approach', Revised 6th Edition, LexisNexis Butterworth, Sydney, Australia.
- Martinov-Bennie, N., Roebuck, P. and Soh, D. (2014) 'Auditing and Assurance: A Case Studies Approach', 6th Edition, LexisNexis Butterworth, Sydney, Australia.
- Soh, D. S. B., Leung, P. and Leong, S. (2015). 'The Development of Integrated Reporting and the Role of the Accounting and Auditing Profession' in Rahim, M. M. and Idowu, S. (eds.), Social Audit Regulation, Springer International Publishing, Switzerland.
- Martinov-Bennie, N., Frost, G. and Soh, D. (2012), 'Assurance on sustainability reporting: State of play and future directions' in "Contemporary Issues in Sustainability Reporting and Assurance", S.Jones and J. Ratnatunga (eds.), Emerald Group Publishing Limited, UK.
- Soh, D. S. B. and N. Martinov-Bennie (2013) "Internal Audit 'After the Crisis'." International Governance and Performance (IGAP) Research Centre, available at: http://igapresearchcentre.com/2013/04/30/internal-audit-after-the-crisis/
- Soh, D. and Martinov-Bennie, N. 2009, The relationship between the Audit Committee and the Internal Audit Function: what works, what doesn't?, The Accounting Foundation- University of Sydney Seminar Series, Sydney, Australia, 6 May 2009.
- Soh, D. 2016 'Factors associated with internal audit's involvement in environmental and social assurance and consulting', European Accounting Association Annual Congress 2016, Maastricht, 10-13 May 2016.
- Soh, D. 2013 'Reconceptualising traditional auditing assessment design: The incorporation of reflective practice in a team-based case assignment', Macquarie University Learning and Teaching Week, Sydney, Australia 16-20 September 2013.
- Soh, D. and Martinov-Bennie N. 2013 'Factors associated with the extent of internal assurance on environmental, social and governance issues: An exploratory study', 2013 AFAANZ Conference, Perth, Australia 7-9 July 2013.
- Soh, D. 2011 'Internal assurance on non-financial information', 2011 Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand(AFAANZ) Doctoral Symposium, Darwin, Australia, 29 June 1July 2011.
- Soh, D. and Martinov-Bennie N. 2010 'The internal audit function: Perceptions of roles,effectiveness and evaluation', 11th World Congress of Accounting Educators and Researchers, Singapore, 4 - 6 November 2010.
- Soh, D. and Martinov-Bennie N. 2009 'The Relationship between the Audit Committee and the Internal Audit Function: what works, what doesn't?', 2009 Asian-Pacific Conference on International Accounting Issues, Las Vegas, U.S.A., 22- 25 November 2009.
- Soh, D. and Martinov-Bennie N. 2009 'The Relationship between the Audit Committee and the Internal Audit Function: what works, what doesn't?', 2009 AFAANZ/IAAER Conference, Adelaide, Australia, 5-7 July 2009.
- Soh, D. 2008, The relationship between the audit committee and the internal auditor: what works,what doesn't?, The University of New South Wales Sixth National Honours Colloquium 2008, Sydney, Australia, 18 August 2008.
- Member of: The Institute of Internal Auditors-Australia
- Member, The University of Sydney Accounting Foundation Pacioli Society of: The University of Sydney Accounting Foundation
- Member, Business and Professional Ethics Group of: The University of Sydney
- Member of: Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand (AFAANZ)
- Member of: Auditing and Assurance Special Interest Group (AASIG: A Special Interest Group of AFAANZ)
- Member of: European Accounting Association
- Member of: American Accounting Association
- Member, Institute of Internal Auditors Australia Education Committee
- Chair, Institute of Internal Auditors Australia Academic Standards and Quality Subcommittee
- Member, Technical Advisory Group on Verification for Water Stewardship Australia
- Ad hoc reviewer, Corporate Governance: An International Review
- Ad hoc reviewer, International Journal of Auditing
- Ad hoc reviewer, Australian Accounting Review
- Ad hoc reviewer, Managerial Auditing Journal
- Ad hoc reviewer, Social and Environmental Accountability Journal
- FBE First STEP Academic Mentor
- Reviewer and discussant, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand (AFAANZ) Conference 2012, 2013, 2014
- Reviewer, Second Australasian Conference of Undergraduate Research (ACUR) 2013
- Volunteer and attendee, South Pacific and Asia Conference (SOPAC) Conference 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014
- Load: PhD Student Part Time
- Principal supervisor:
Professor Nonna Martinov-Bennie
- Associate supervisor:
Professor Philomena Leung
- Date of submission: 21/12/2016
- Thesis title: Internal assurance and consulting of non-financial information
There is limited understanding and evidence as to why some internal audit functions are engaged in environmental, social and governance (ESG) assurance and/or consulting activities, while others are not, and how the nature and extent of the IAF's involvement in these issues differ across organisations for those which are involved. This exploratory study therefore investigates the nature and determinants of the internal audit function's involvement in ESG assurance and consulting activities through a sequential mixed methods approach.
- ACCG340 Auditing and Assurance Services