First STEP mentoring
First STEP (striving towards excellence program) is an academic to student mentoring program within Macquarie Business School. There’s a lot to learn in your first year at university as you take that first step towards a successful career. First STEP connects first year students (including MUIC and alternative pathway students) with academic and peer mentors within the Business School to provide advice from those who have done it all before.
Apply for Session 1, 2020 by completing the online form!
The benefits of First STEP mentoring
First STEP helps you meet new people within your faculty and get to know an Academic in a one-to-one situation. You’ll gain an understanding of resources on campus, practice networking and communication skills.
How does it work?
You’ll be assigned to a mentoring group of 3–5 first year students and an academic mentor (lecturer within the Business School) who you can self-select. Through the program you’ll meet one-to-one with your academic mentor and discuss your university experience, such as:
- Challenges you are facing
- Decisions you need to make regarding your major
- Time management and resources
Each mentoring group will also have a 3rd year student assigned as a peer mentor. The peer mentor will:
- Guide you and offer advice
- Organise a few group events across the session for you to get to know your peers
- Send you emails across the session about important information you need to know
- Keep you informed about events and opportunities available to you.
Only the first 100 students that apply to the program will be accepted for S1 2020.
If you’re successful in joining the program you'll need to:
- Prepare for the one-to-one meetings with your academic mentor with the help of your peer mentor.
- Attend the First STEP launch
- Review and understand the program guidelines on iLearn
Peer Mentor information and application
Apply to become a peer mentor and lead a group of first year students through the First STEP Mentoring Program.
Phone: 02 9850 4816