Macquarie Student Employment - Student FAQs
Will I be paid?
All roles advertised through Macquarie Student Employment are paid positions.
How much will I be paid?
Rates of pay will vary according to the role. Hourly rates offered must at least comply with the National Minimum standards. Roles requiring greater experience or a higher skill level are likely to pay a higher hourly rate.
Please note the following National Minimum Award Wages, as determined by the Fair Work Act:
- Permanent Full & Part time employees - $19.94 per hour + superannuation
- Casual/Temporary employees - $24.36 per hour + superannuation
Further information can be obtained at: http://www.fairwork.gov.au/pay/minimum-wages
The Fair Work Information Statement makes it easier for you to understand minimum workplace entitlements. You should receive a copy of this statement whenever you begin a new job.
Are international students eligible to apply?
International students are welcome and encouraged to apply. If the role fits within the work limitations of your visa type, which most will, you should apply for any role you are interested in. Remember that the majority of International students are able to work 40 hours per fortnight and full time during university session breaks. More information is available here.
What sort of roles will be available?
The service connects Macquarie University students with a wide variety of roles both on and off the University campus. Many may relate to your career aspirations, however all will increase your future employability. Typical roles available include:
- Library Assistants
- Student Connect Assistants
- Marketing and Communications Assistants
- Administration Assistants
- Database Administrators and Data Entry
- Customer Service and Administration
How long will I be employed for?
This will depend on the role. Some roles may be for only a few hours or a few days. Others may offer ongoing work, some including work during university breaks. Remember that every employment opportunity adds to your skills and experience.
How do I give myself the best chance of my application being successful?
Be prepared! Here are some of the key ways you can increase your chances of being offered a role:
- Register your details with MQSE and make sure you register for job alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Instagram. We regularly advertise available roles on these media platforms. Apply as soon as you see an opportunity that interests you.
- Attend one of our Fast Track Workshops to become a qualified applicant.
- Visit MQ Career Zone The site contains a wealth of resources to help you to write a winning resume, prepare for interviews and plan you career. Attending a Resume Workshop is a fantastic way to gain the knowledge to improve your resume.
Is a job on campus guaranteed?
Registering with MQSE does not guarantee you a job. We will give you the tools and confidence to be successful in obtaining employment either though us or through your own efforts. Completing the full registration process will give you priority access to employment opportunities.
Applying for a job on campus is just like applying for any other position and there will be other students hoping to land the job as well. Being in the Talent Pool will give you access to more on campus jobs though, so your chances of finding a job are significantly higher.
How many jobs are available?
The number and type of jobs available will vary at different times of the year. It’s important to check the Macquarie Student Employment page on Career Hub regularly and, once registered, watch for job alert emails so you’re always informed about available roles.