Professional Development Program
MQ Professional Development Program
Enhance your employability and get a kick-start in your career through our innovative MQ Professional Development Program (Online). Offered by the Career and Employment Service, this 5 part interactive webinar series will equip you with the key skills to find and apply for roles, and confidently launch your career.
S2 2020 Applications are now closed
Approaching graduation and not quite sure where to go? Give yourself the edge and maximise your future potential through the MQ Professional Development Program, Semester 2 -2020. Delivered online by the Career and Employment Service, this program offers the opportunity to undergraduate final and penultimate year students to up-skill and learn the key secrets to getting hired and building a career!
The program consists of 5 mandatory sessions over the course of the semester, plus additional elements as per below. The program must be completed by Wednesday 14th October 2020.
Apply by Friday 17th July to secure your spot in this competitive program! You will be notified of the outcome of your application by Friday 24th July.
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree (post-grad students are not eligible to apply)
- Must be a current enrolled student for Semester 2, 2020
- Final and penultimate year students only
- Domestic and international students from all faculties at Macquarie University
To be awarded the Professional Development Program Certificate, all participants MUST:
- attend all 5 professional development workshops (dates below)
- attend 1 general careers workshop, approved employer presentation or Careers Advice appointment (booked through CareerHub)
- attend 1 event during Careers Week, 10th-14th August, (e.g. S2 Virtual Careers Fair, online faculty events or employer presentations)
- spend approximately 20 additional hours developing their skills on an individual basis (e.g. creating application documents, creating their LinkedIn profile, completing the program workbook, completing online activities through MyMQ Career Zone and other tasks to be completed outside of workshops)
The program will cover
- employability skills
- researching your career options
- exploring career pathways
- job hunting
- applications including resume and cover letter writing
- interview preparation
- assessment centres
- LinkedIn and networking
- transitioning to work, and much more...
- Develop key employability skills and get a head start in all things careers
- Know your value to employers and learn how to market yourself successfully to organisations
- Learn how to prepare an effective real-life application
- Increase confidence and competence
- All students who attend all sessions receive a certificate of completion
- Program will be included on your Australian Higher Education Graduation Statement (AHEGS)
'PDP was a platform which helped me gain greater insight to the perspective of an employer and some efficient methods to stand out as an employee. Soon after my successful completion of the program, I was able to secure an internship with an Engineering firm due to the cold calling techniques covered in PDP. I got in touch with the recruiter of the firm through cold calling and was able to send in a direct application which eventually lead to the internship. This added to my skills, experience and resume which played a part in my achievement as NSW International Student of the Year 2018 Finalist.'
I really enjoyed this program! I wanted to thank you for forcing me to put myself out there and encourage me to socialise. If it weren't for PDP, I would've still be lost not knowing what to do or how to do things appropriately. Devina
Was offered an internship after a coffee meeting - 2 full time job offers via LinkedIn. Gained greater confidence during the overall job application process especially on resume and cover letter writing. I now have a better understanding of my values and how i can use to help my career planning. Lorenzo
I was able to apply some of the learnt interview skills from the program to a recent interview and that helped me score an internship. So I am very satisfied with the outcome of the PDP for me. My favourite part was the mock assessment centre session. It was very engaging and made me learn a lot about the kind of person I am in a team work setting. ZainabIt was truly an amazing experience. Thank you very much Lena and Vicky for making this happen. Samuel
S2 2020 Dates
Online Workshop 1: Wednesday 29th July 12-2pm
Online Workshop 2: Wednesday 19th August 12-2pm
Online Workshop 3: Wednesday 26th August 12-2pm
Online Workshop 4: Wednesday 2nd September 12-2pm
Online Workshop 5: Wednesday 30th September 12-2pm
Awards Presentation: Wednesday 21st October 1-2pm - receive your certificate of completion
Please only apply to this program if you can attend all of the sessions and commit to the program during Session 2, completing all requirements by Wednesday 14th October!
Apply by Friday 17th July to secure your spot in this competitive program! You will be notified of the outcome of your application by Friday 24th July. Click here
Please note, students may only participate in one Career and Employment Service program per semester.