Professional Development Program
Professional Development Program
Enhance your employability and get a kick-start in your career through our innovative MQ Professional Development Program. Offered by the Career and Employment Service, this 4 day workshop series will equip you with the key skills to help you find, apply and reach your dream career.
Approaching graduation and not quite sure where to go? Give yourself the edge and maximise your future potential through the MQ Professional Development Program. Run by the Career and Employment Service, this program, offered twice yearly, provides a valuable opportunity for undergraduate final year students to up-skill and know the key secrets to getting hired and building a career!
The program consists of 4 mandatory sessions spaced over the semester, plus additional elements as per below.
- Currently enrolled in the final year of an undergraduate degree (post-grad students are not eligible to apply)
- Domestic and international students from all faculties at Macquarie University
To be awarded the Professional Development Program Certificate, all participants MUST:
- attend 4 professional development workshops (see dates below)
- attend 1 general careers workshop or Careers Advice appointment (booked through CareerHub)
- attend 1 careers event during Careers Week in March (e.g. Career Fair or employer presentation)
- spend approximately 20 additional hours developing their skills on an individual basis (e.g. creating application documents, creating their LinkedIn profile, completing the program workbook and other tasks to be completed outside of workshops)
The program will cover
- employability skills
- researching your career options
- exploring career pathways
- application boot-camp including resume and cover letter writing
- job hunting
- interview preparation
- LinkedIn and networking
- assessment centre preparation
- your working rights and much more...
- Develop key employability skills and get a head start in all things careers
- Know your value to employers and learn how to market yourself successfully to organisations
- We will prepare you to handle a real-life application
- Increase confidence and competence
- All students who attend all sessions receive a certificate of completion that will appear on your transcript upon graduation
'PDP was a platform which helped me gain greater insight to the perspective of an employer and some efficient methods to stand out as an employee. Soon after my successful completion of the program, I was able to secure an internship with an Engineering firm due to the cold calling techniques covered in PDP. I got in touch with the recruiter of the firm through cold calling and was able to send in a direct application which eventually lead to the internship. This added to my skills, experience and resume which played a part in my achievement as NSW International Student of the Year 2018 Finalist.'
I really enjoyed this program! I wanted to thank you for forcing me to put myself out there and encourage me to socialise. If it weren't for PDP, I would've still be lost not knowing what to do or how to do things appropriately. Devina
Was offered an internship after a coffee meeting - 2 full time job offers via LinkedIn. Gained greater confidence during the overall job application process especially on resume and cover letter writing. I now have a better understanding of my values and how i can use to help my career planning. Lorenzo
I was able to apply some of the learnt interview skills from the program to a recent interview and that helped me score an internship. So I am very satisfied with the outcome of the PDP for me. My favourite part was the mock assessment centre session. It was very engaging and made me learn a lot about the kind of person I am in a team work setting. ZainabIt was truly an amazing experience. Thank you very much Lena and Vicky for making this happen. Samuel
S1 2020 Dates
Workshop 1: Tuesday 3rd March, 12pm-3pm
Workshop 2: Saturday 21st March, 10am - 3pm
Workshop 3: Tuesday 7th April, 12-2pm
Workshop 4: Tuesday 5th May, 12-2pm
Click here to apply. Applications close Tuesday 25th February 2020.
Please note, students may only participate in one Career and Employment Service program per semester.