Student Pulse

Student Pulse

Your pulse was checked.  Your feedback is vital.

We think it’s really important to be transparent and show we are listening. So here’s our summary of what you’re telling us week by week.

Friday 22 May

We are coming to the end of the study session and you are continuing to provide your feedback and letting us know how you feel. So, this week you told us:

• 63% agree or strongly agree that you know how to access the online support and services across MQ which is much higher than the weeks before.
  • 40% agree or strongly agree that you feel connected to MQ students and teaching staff
  • 37% of you agree or strongly agree that you can succeed in online learning
  • 27% agree or strongly agree that you feel on top of your wellbeing

What we heard:

• You need us to provide you with relevant assessment and exam information
  • You need support to prepare for your final assessments and exams
  • You need help with keeping calm and balanced during the exams
  • You need access to book loans, study space on campus and an opportunity to have a reliable internet

Keep moving forward:

We are listening and working to help you get through this:

• On Monday 25 May, the University made 250 study spaces available in the Library. These spaces are for students most in need of a safe and appropriate place to study. More details here.
  • To help you find exam information we have developed useful ‘Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
  • We have developed the exam toolkit to help you prepare for your exam day
  • We have put together useful tips for you to prepare for open book exam and other types of exams
  • To help you reduce your stress level during the exam period, a range of de-stress activities have been also developed
  • We added more wellbeing podcasts in the MQ Wellbeing app for you to stay on top of things
  • You chat online or book an appointment with the Wellbeing team if you feel you need wellbeing support
  • Remember to check your iLearn units for individual exam requirements.

COMPLETE THE STUDENT PULSE SURVEY

Straight from the mouths of your peers – the good and the not so good

"Zoom tutorials are the only reason I have not deferred this year. But next semester we need some time on campus."

"The teaching staff are positive. I work full time so listen to recorded lectures but the staff, both through lectures and iLearn, are being upbeat and positive, while recognising what everyone is experiencing. Not a huge success story results wise but with turmoil in my job and the general uncertainty it’s great to receive those boosts that make you want to achieve something more than drinking wine and eating junk food. I really appreciate it."

"Please give us more information about assignment and assessment. it is hard to do research at home by myself without teacher’s advice."

Your previous pulse readings

Friday 15 May

Week ending Friday 15 May

We put the Pulse Check on hold to allow you to complete the Learning and Teaching survey. But this does not mean we stopped listening and responding to your feedback.

What we heard:

• You need consolidated information about online exams and final assessments
  • You need a study space on campus and an opportunity to have a reliable internet
  • You need tips and resources to prepare for your final assessments and exams

Keep moving forward:

• From 25 May, the University will open 250 study spaces in the Library. More details here.
  • To support you and help you sail through your final exams and assessments, the exam support page has been developed. On our exam page you will find the link to your timetable, useful study tips, handy exam checklist and much more.
  • Individual exam requirements will be also made available within iLearn.
  • To help you reduce your stress level during the exam period, a range of de-stress activities have been also developed

"I feel like I can better manage all my commitments now I have more time in my day. I also feel like I am getting more help from my classmates over zoom in some classes then I would normally."

"My Unit Convenor has been amazingly supportive. I have accessibility challenges and online learning was always going to be difficult for me. My unit convenor has gone above and beyond to ensure I am able to access the material in a way that ensures I have access to content and support when I need it!"

"Not engaging with learning outcomes... I feel I have not learned as much as I and my teachers expected this semester, which is a waste.  Also, unsure about my career progression at this point in time. Internship got cancelled so not certain where to go from here."

Friday 24 April

Week ending Friday 24 April

The responses we received this week revealed the following:

• there’s not much change in your confidence about online learning success, your understanding of how to access online support or your overall wellbeing
  • the proportion who don’t feel connected to other students and staff has increased from 59% to 72%
  • slightly more people think the uni is doing a great job to support their studies – up from 36% to 42%

What we heard:

• You need consolidated information about everything that is happening within the uni
  • You need more information about your exams and assessments in your ilearn
  • You need support and motivation to prepare for your assessments
  • You want more opportunities to engage in class discussions as it’s important to your learning experience.

We've heard you and will work on these aspects.

Keep moving forward:

Friday 17 April

Week ending Friday 17 April

Almost 300 responses and based on those who agree or strongly agree:

• 31% feel confident to succeed in online learning
  • 59% don’t feel connected to other students and staff
  • 59% know how to access online support
  • 76% do not feel on top of their wellbeing
  • 36% think the University is doing a great job to support their studies

What we heard:

• You need help to stay motivated and balance workload.
  • You want your online learning materials to be in iLearn as quickly as possible.

Keep moving forward:

As we continue to make changes, here’s what you might do:

1. Reach out to the Learning Skills to build your academic confidence
  2. Connect with other students in PAL online or informal study groups
  3. Find out news and events via the revamped Student Portal at students.mq.edu.au
  4. Keep reading the student newsletter and check out Prashan’s videos
  5. Keep your eye out for the new O-zone and MQ Scoop
  6. Sign up for the 5-week online wellbeing course via the MQ Wellbeing app
  7. Get exercising with the online group fitness sessions from MU Sports and Aquatic Centre
  8. Apply for financial assistance via the Student Success Support Package
  9. Remember, we are all trying to adjust quickly and other students will feel the same as you
  10. Keep completing the MQ Student Pulse as a larger sample size is helpful

"Having weekly Zoom meetings in one of my classes really help us stay grounded to the unit. I am also very thankful to the Unit Convenor and another professor teaching the unit who always give us plenty of support for the upcoming assessment. They gave us a virtual field trip and virtual lab to compensate for the activities that should have been in-person. Furthermore, having these weekly Zoom meetings assured us that they are there to answer any questions that we may have (and we have a lot). It's a lot of effort from their part and I'm just very happy that they're incredibly understanding and supportive."

"I've been actively involved with student groups over the time we've been at home and it's been incredibly rewarding."

"I don't really have any positive MQ-specific experiences right now. I am feeling quite disconnected from my cohort and it's getting to the crunch part of the semester where assignments are due. It's difficult to maintain motivation, feel connected enough with the material to have a clear understanding of what I'm learning and what I need to work on, and overall, it's clear that a large part of what helps me study is the on-campus experience of being in a classroom, discussing ideas with my peers, and having a specific scheduled time when I need to be present."

Back to the top of this page