Alumni First in Family Scholarship - Students
|New incoming undergraduate student in any discipline who is the first one of their immediate family (parent, sibling or grandparent) to attended University.|
Valued at $5000 per year, and renewable for up to four (4) years contingent on meeting ongoing eligibility requirements.
The Macquarie University First in Family Scholarship was established to support students who are the first of their immediate family (parent, sibling or grandparent) to attend University. It is awarded to an incoming undergraduate student in any discipline.
The successful applicant for this scholarship will be able to demonstrate:
- Academic merit;
- That they are a Domestic student;
- That they are a current school leaver (sat for the HSC or equivalent in 2016). Students who have taken a 'Gap' Year in 2016 are also eligible to lodge an application for 2017. These students must have taken the HSC (or equivalent) in 2015 and have not undertaken any study in 2016;
- Commitment to community service and extra-curricular activities;
- Leadership qualities or leadership potential;
- Commitment to study;
- Capacity to triumph over hardship which may include: financial disadvantage, sole parent or carer responsibilities, non- English speaking or Indigenous background, effects of trauma and/or abuse, long-term medical condition or disability or coming from a rural or remote area;
- That they are the first of their immediate family (parent, sibling or grandparent) to attend University.
The scholarship will not be awarded in any year in which no candidate is considered to be of sufficient merit when judged against the selection criteria.
The scholarship may not be deferred.