Grants and loans
How to apply for a student loan or grant
The intention is to provide assistance to students who are unable to finance basic requirements for study: for example, to secure accommodation, for emergency living expenses, some transport-related expenses and educational expenses including prescribed texts and computers but excluding charges for tuition. Loans are not available for the purchase of assets. Substantiating documentation must be supplied with the application.
All loans will normally be expected to be repaid within the student’s current year of enrolment. The loan may be subject to an interest rate and the student shall be required to enter into an agreement with the university to repay the borrowed amount.
Grants may be made to students who are affected by extreme and exceptional circumstances.
To be considered for a Grant you must lodge a submission, which will indicate the special circumstances and include supporting documentation.
- For more information contact us via Ask.MQ
Before applying for a student loan or grant, it is recommended that you contact the Welfare Service on 0298506496 or firstname.lastname@example.org for support and assistance in exploring all available financial options.
Find out more about student loans and grants policies and procedures.
In an emergency the University may loan a student a small amount of money for assistance.
- Maximum Loan: $50.
- Loan Interest: None.
- Repayment Date: Within two calendar months from the date of issue.
- Loan Purpose: A student will generally need to demonstrate some kind of unavoidable disruption has occurred which has left them without money for an essential need, for example, no money for food or transport.
- Identification: Students must be able to prove their identity to access this type of loan.
- Requesting an Emergency Loan: Contact Campus Wellbeing and inform them you need an emergency loan.
You will be required to complete a loan document, provide identification and then submit your approved loan document to the Cashier’s Counter (Level 1, 16-18 Wally’s Walk, Building C8A).