Invitations will be sent in 2020 to your student email address.
Celebration date and time
Thursday 5 March 2020
314/336 Bourke Street (Myer), Melbourne
- Gowning and light refreshments from 6pm
- Briefing for Graduands and Prize Winners from 6:20pm
- Ceremony commences at 7:00pm
Attending your ceremony
Register for graduates only
In order to participate, you’ll need to first respond to our invitation.
Log into your eStudent and follow these steps.
- Click on "My Results and Graduation" – to view your final results
- Click on "Check for Graduation" – you’ll see the award you have qualified together with your individual ceremony location, date and time
- Select the award and follow the link "Modify my graduation details for the selected award"
- Update your attendance preference from the drop-down menu and save your preference for your status as below
- ATTEND CEREMONY - if you are attending
- HOLD - your graduation documents will be held at Macquarie University
NOTE: Closing date for confirming your attendance preference on eStudent is 24 February
If confirmation on eStudent is not received by the closing date, you will not be issued a seating ticket or guest tickets.
Pre-order your academic dress and memorabilia
On the day
Arrival and Registration
- Graduates need to arrive for registration, seating tickets and the academic dress hire/fitting from 6pm
- Portrait photography services will also be available
- Parking to be advised
- Graduates should be seated 30 minutes before the ceremony commences for a briefing
Academic dress and attire
All graduates are required to be in full academic dress to take part in the graduation proceedings. As academic gowns are open at the front, clothing worn underneath will be clearly visible. Suggested attire includes
- Business or semi-formal attire
- Comfortable shoes.
Graduates can arrange hire of your academic regalia with Graduation Photography. The academic regalia and fitting service is provided on the day at Mural Hall.
If your personal academic regalia is supplied by an external supplier, it is imperative that you check with graduation staff before your graduation day to ensure it complies with the Macquarie University academic dress protocol.
Graduates, prize winners and their guests are invited to enjoy complimentary refreshments before and after the ceremony.
We endeavour to accommodate any special requirements for the ceremony such as accessibility, or other types of pre-arrangement that may be required. Please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
Visas for you and your guests
You must check with the Department of Home Affairs for the latest information.
We suggest that a copy of the invitation and Completion Letter (both are sent to your student email) is submitted with your application.
For your guests, also include a personal letter written by you to invite your family/guests to attend your graduation, along with your invitation. The personal letter should specify the ceremony date and time, full names of your family members/guests, and their passport numbers.
All photocopied documents should be certified by a Justice of the Peace (JP).
Not attending your ceremony
If you are not attending your ceremony (graduating in absentia), there are a number of options available for collecting your degree on eStudent.
- Click on "My Results and Graduation"
- Click on "Check for Graduation". The award you have qualified with will be displayed together with your individual graduation ceremony location, date and time
- Select the award and follow the link "Modify my graduation details for the selected award". Update your attendance preference from the drop-down menu and save your preference. The following options are available:
Students who elect not to attend the ceremony and require their documents to be sent free of charge by Australia Post should change their status to MAIL in eStudent. Documents will be sent by post after the ceremony. Students must allow at least 3 weeks (8 weeks international) for delivery before enquiring about documents not received.
Please ensure that your preferred postal address and phone contact number in eStudent is correct to ensure that your graduation documents are correctly delivered.
Be advised tracking is NOT available for this option.
Students who elect not to attend the ceremony and require their documents to be sent by Express Post/TNT international courier (fee incurred) should change their status to COURIER in eStudent. Please download and return a completed Delivery Request Form (OneID login required). Couriered documents are sent as soon as possible after your graduation ceremony.
Collecting documents in person
Students who elect not to attend the ceremony and wish to collect their documents in person should change their status to COLLECT in eStudent. Documents will be available for collection from Macquarie University after your ceremony.
To authorise somebody else to collect your graduation documents please send a request with details from your student email or ask.mq.edu.au. The request should include the full name and date of birth of the person collecting the documents. All persons will be required to produce valid identification upon collection.
Graduating in absentia
Students who do not attend the ceremony or have not updated their attendance status from HOLD in eStudent will graduate in absentia and your documents will be held Macquarie University until confirmation of a current mailing address is received. If you graduate in absentia, you cannot attend a subsequent ceremony.
Graduation fees and payments
Macquarie University does not charge a graduation fee for the Melbourne cohort. However, if you attend the ceremony you will need to organise and pay for your academic dress hire with Graduation Photography.
Students who are indebted to the University shall not be permitted to graduate until such debt is cleared. Graduation allocation is subject to all debts being cleared prior to the RSVP date. Please ensure that you do not have any outstanding debts.
Change of name
If your name requires an amendment or correction, you must reply to your Graduation Invitation email along with the certified supporting documentation to the Graduations Team before the closing date. The only documents accepted by the University include a valid passport, change of name certificate, or marriage certificate. Driver's licences are not accepted.
If the request and/or the supporting documentation cannot be received by the RSVP date, a $65 fee will apply for the re-issue of your graduation documents.