How Does Exchange Work?
Apply to study part of your degree at an overseas university with our Student Exchange program.
Steps in the exchange process
- Obtain academic advice from an adviser in your faculty about how exchange will fit into your degree and when the best time for you to go would be
- Research a destination - including universities and subjects
- Come to an info session and speak with an adviser
- Apply to the Student Exchange Program (you will be emailed with the outcome of your application within two months of the closing date)
- Attend the compulsory Getting Started Session, receive your Acceptance Pack, and complete the application form for your host university
- Complete and sign the Acceptance of Offer and Conditions of Participation form
- Submit host university application form to Macquarie Exchange along with necessary documentation (i.e. passport photos, accommodation application, proof of funds, etc.)
- Attend the compulsory Study Plan Session to learn about your academic approvals and enrolment information
- Begin obtaining subject approvals
- Acceptance by host university is received
- Apply for your visa
- Purchase your flight
- Purchase travel insurance to cover you for the duration of your time outside Australia
- Attend the Pre-Departure session and get your Travel Grant
- Depart for your host university
- Meet your host university International Office staff
- Enrol in subjects overseas
- Send your Macquarie Exchange advisor your Enrolment Form so that you can be enrolled at Macquarie
- Submit a 250 word article for the Macquarie Globe
- Complete your approved subjects at your host university
- Return to Macquarie
- Submit your transcript from overseas; Macquarie Exchange will convert your grades
- Attend the Welcome Back function
Why participate in an exchange?
- It's good for you! Become more confident and independent.
- Increase the value of your degree! Take courses overseas you cannot take in Australia (like studying fine arts in Italy or marine biology in Fiji)
- Employers will look favourably on your overseas experience - it shows you can take initiative and work independently.
- We live in an increasingly interdependent world; this is the best opportunity to get a real look at how people live in other countries.
- It's the best way to have adventures, make friends, travel... And do it whilst adding value to your Macquarie degree.